Ubuntu 24.04 LTS install report

I always tell myself to wait a month after a major release before trying to upgrade, let the bugs shake out. I never listen.

On this Lenovo X1 Carbon, 5th generation, I tried to do an upgrade in place. These rarely go well for me (I don’t know why) and this time was no exception. So I moved on to a clean install of 24.04. The install went smoothly but took longer than I expected, about 40 minutes. I think my relatively slow internet connection had a lot to do with that.

The settings menu has been revised and it took me some hunting to find where things are located in the menu. I’m poor at drilling down through menus but I eventually found everything.

A couple of quirks so far:
When I move the cursor to the panel or the top bar it changes from an arrow to a white box.
Veracrypt won’t install, says there are dependency issues. My previous moves to deal with this did not work this time. Still digging on this.

Overall, 24.04 seems fine. Next time maybe I’ll wait. Naaahhhh…

4 Likes

One of the things I do when doing inplace upgrades in Debian or Devuan is first disable any non-standard repos. Then I also remove anything like printer drivers installed from .deb files.
So what I have left is a stock standard package system, and
that has always survived an inline upgrade for me.

That approach in Ubuntu may be difficult if you have lots of PPA’s

2 Likes

Same here. I usually don’t wait.

So far, the in place upgrade of Mint has gone smoothly for me, tho I pretty much run an vanilla OS.

4 Likes

For any VeraCrypt users: my problem installing VeraCrypt was because I was trying to install the wrong version. The version for Ubuntu 23.04 worked but the one for 22.04 did not.

I agree with Abishek that the software installer should install .deb packages. Dropping support for this is a step backwards. Maybe it’ll return in a future update.

1 Like

It seems like the Ubuntu Software app does indeed find and load .deb packages. (It didn’t work yesterday.) I just now installed several .deb packages that way.

You can always use dpkg to install a .deb That will never disappear.

2 Likes

I installed on my dual boot tower. It would never find there was a version to upgrade so I did a clean install. Downloaded the ISO in 70 seconds. Wrote USB in about 20 minutes. Installed in maybe 5, but I wasn’t keeping track at that point

I would call it back to 85% or so now. Didn’t check on a few things yet. It did find my network printer, install the driver, and print a test page with no issue. HP Officejet Pro 8720.

Installed NoMachine and Edge from deb using dpkg.

3 Likes

One of the reasons I avoid them…

I “once” had a system, that started life as Ubuntu 18.04, that eventually got to 22.04 through “do-release-upgrade” several times, and I think one of those (or several) were non-LTS releases too… I think it was my Dell 7270 - which I no longer use…

3 Likes

I did just discover one “improvement” with Ubuntu 24.04 over Pop!_OS. When I would use the touch screen on my laptop the pointer would disappear. It wouldn’t come back until I moved the pointer (blindly) to the of the screen where the status bar is. It’s dark and then the pointer would be displayed again.

I just tried that on Ubuntu 24.04 and as soon as I moved the mouse the pointer came back. I didn’t have to go to the top of the screen.

The different could be that I’m using a Wayland session rather than an X11 session like I was on Pop!_OS. Maybe I’ll try an X11 session and see what happens.

Nope, I just tried both X11 and Wayland they both work “correctly” now.

One thing I did notice is that when switching from one to the other the resolution was reset to the maximum. That’s too small for me on a laptop screen. I had to reset the resolution each time I switched.

1 Like

I installed 24.04 on my desktop and laptop from one of the daily builds a week or so before the security issues with xz-tools were discovered. This past Friday I ran sudo apt update && sudo apt full-upgrade && sudo snap refresh && flatpak update on both machines. After downloading about a gigabyte of updates I rebooted and everything ran great.

The newest Gnome is a really smooth but then again I had no complaints with 22.04 or 23.10. If I have extra time this weekend I might do fresh installs from the RTM ISO.

It’s just a personal preference but I think the Numbat wallpapers are some of the best I’ve seen Ubuntu’s community put out.

Edited to add:
The ISO is 5.5 GB. That seems pretty big to me. Are older versions that large too?

2 Likes

Lots of improvements on the newest Gnome, yes.

I did not update from earlier version because I wanted a clean install.
I had a dual boot and the installation wizard did not give the option to overwrite previously installed Ubuntu. Only 2 options: overwrite everything or install alongside windows and previous Ubuntu. (There should also have been the option to overwrite previous Ubuntu.)
I had limited storage. The manual partitioning wizard was daunting (not familiar with “nvme01p” syntax). Afraid of messing up, I removed previous 22.04 first, then installed 24.04 on what little room was left, and used good old Gparted to add the free space to my new install.
All runs smoothly, but I have been asked to run “systemctl daemon-reload” quite a few times.
PPAs are a headache, though. To be expected, I guess.
Virtual box guest additions do not run (from Ubuntu repos).

2 Likes

Use virt-manager. It performs better than Vbox in Linux

2 Likes