Underline, Black Page, Ubuntu Run Eror

my Ubuntu can’t load in the dual boot along with windows 10. it worked perfectly last two weeks. all at once, it messed up. now, after selecting the Ubuntu on grub, it only shows the black page with an Underline on top of the black page. any solutions to fix it please?

What happened before this error appeared? What changed in the system? Do you have a backup ready?

4 Likes

it may also help to know which version of ubuntu you are using along with the make and model of your computer.

3 Likes

Ubuntu 20.04 LTS. the laptop’s model is Panasonic.

the last time I used it, Ubuntu asked to get new updates. as I didn’t have enough space I ignored it. the last action was to install (gparted) to resize the driver that I allocated to Ubuntu. but didn’t do any changes at that moment. day after when I turned the laptop on, as usual the grub had been loaded. but after selecting the Ubuntu drive, the black page appeared with an underline top of the screen.

2 Likes

I hope you have seen the big fat warning, that data loss can occur and the system may not be able to boot anymore, if you do any administrative changes to the root partition. You have seen that one, right?

That’s why I am sure you made a backup before doing this, as the warning was pretty big and scary, especially for someone who is not that experienced with this stuff. Right?

4 Likes

not enough space that you couldn’t update could mean that you don’t have enough space to boot. can you boot into a live usb to look and see how much space you have exactly?

is this a new installation of ubuntu 20.04 or did you upgrade from 18.04?

panasonic is the company that made your computer, but it would still probably be helpful to have a model. like mine is a lenovo (the company or make) thinkpad t430s (the model). i just looked up a random model of panasonic and found toughbook cf-53. this is often listed somewhere on or near a laptop screen or hinge (or on the bottom) or the front of a desktop. that would also help to know. is this computer a laptop or desktop?

5 Likes

Honestly, I didn’t do any back up. didn’t have any important data on it. only few softwares installed to get familiar with Ubuntu’s functions and abilities. I’m very new to Ubuntu. but I’m deciding to learn it and switch to it.

3 Likes

Good point. Then erase the partitions, make sure you assign enough space to the new partition(s) and then re-install the operating system. This is the easiest way to get stuff running, again.

4 Likes

how much space you are setting aside for ubuntu?

2 Likes

It was the first time I installed Ubuntu. I got it from Ubuntu website and did all installation steps correctly. the laptop model is panasonic cf-f9. I will try what you said about (boot into a live usb to look and see how much space I have)

2 Likes

I should erase the Ubuntu partition on my windows 10, right?

I set 15Gb to it. as It was my first time trying to install and figure out how it works, I didn’t care much about allocating more space to it.

2 Likes

you can certainly allocate as much space as you wish, but the official recommendation is 25 gb.

3 Likes

yes, right. maybe it’s better to erase the current drive. set a new partition with more space and go on with new installation…

2 Likes

thank you Akito and 01101111 for taking time to help. if there is any other thing about it that i should do please let me know.

2 Likes

I do. yes, Thank you.

1 Like

troubleshooting a broken installation can be a lot of work with no guaranteed payoff even in the best of times. since this is your first attempt, and you don’t have anything that you absolutely need starting fresh sounds like it will save you some time. if you want to know for sure that you ran out of space, you could boot into a live usb and check.

regarding

i believe it was @Akito who suggested when i was new here to use windows tools to deal with windows partitions. if you want to create more space for ubuntu, it is a good idea to do so from windows. ubuntu and gparted can write to and deal with ntfs, but the safest bet is using the operating system that created it.

3 Likes

yes, for sure I want to check that, curious to know if that problem happened because of space shortage or other reasons. as I want to be a Ubuntu user from now on, helps me to discover the new problems that i may encounter in the next steps.

2 Likes

Precisely.

NTFS is not open source, so it had to be reverse engineered. This means, it will (probably) never have the true quality of the real NTFS, which is only available on Windows, as far as I know.

2 Likes