Uninstall Linux from a dual boot system

I created a dual boot system on my laptop to experiment with Linux Mint. I have now moved to a dual boot system on my desktop and wish to continue to use the laptop just for Windows 7 for the few programs I have not yet transferred to LM to obviate the laborious process of moving between operating systems. This is a GParted view of the disk. https://ibb.co/Y7Ltq4h

I followed the procedure outlined in this article

After checking all data etc. I moved to Win7, identified the 75GB NTFS as Windows, right clicked on the 153GB Linux partition and clicked ā€˜Delete Volumeā€™. This produced the green box of free space so I clicked on ā€˜Delete Volumeā€™ again. This produces the message ā€œThere is not enough space available on the disk to complete this operationā€.

I tried to Extend the Windows partition but that option was greyed out and unavailable. I tried the only other option which was Resize but this offered a maximum size of 75GB so this did not help either.

Can anyone offer a solution to this impasse?

You cannot move or resize a mounted partition. The root partition you are booting your OS from is always mounted and cannot be unmounted, except by changing into another operating system.

As for the changing from dual boot to single boot to Windows:

An easy but not best way is to delete the Linux partitions in Windows, then restart Windows and shut it down forcibly during the boot process. Then it should start into a recovery menu, where you select that you want your ā€œStartup behaviourā€ fixed.
However, I donā€™t remember if the same procedure works with Windows 7. It works for Windows 10, though.

Basically, all you need to do is writing Windowsā€™ MBR into the HDD, again, so Windows can boot from it properly.

1 Like

My attempt to extend the root partition was the next step in the article I was following but it obviously needs ā€˜unallocatedā€™ partition to work. Since after deleting the Linux partition I found myself booting into Grub Rescue I booted from a Win7 disk and repaired the startup. I can successfully boot into Win7 but still have 157GB of wasted space.

Can you show further screenshots of the situation?

2020-08-23_132242

That was from Windows Disk Manager - and I was in Windows when I tried to extend and resize so I guess the disk was not mounted. This one is from GParted on a live LM disk.

You can also use Easeus to extend a Windows partition. And of course it runs under Windows and it is free to use. I have used it many times over the years. Hereā€™s a link.
https://www.easeus.com/partition-manager/epm-free.html

1 Like

You need to delete the extended partition and its contents. Then you can use the unallocated space to extend the primary partition.

The original ā€œHow to ā€¦ā€ explained how to delete the partition but the problem is that the procedure has stopped halfway - at the ā€œfree spaceā€ stage - and cannot proceed further to the required ā€œunallocatedā€ stage. Windows disk management will not allow the root partition to be extended until that ā€œunallocatedā€ stage is reached. Is it likely that Easeus partition manager can be any more successful than Windows own disk manager?

Getting back to the original article I either (a) need to complete the ā€œDelete Volumeā€ step and then Extend the root partition but Easeus does not offer a delete volume in its menu or (b) extend the root partition without any further deletion but Easeus does not offer an extend either. On offer are Resize/Move, Allocate Space, Clone, Change Label. I am very reluctant to attempt any further probing without expert advice.

I have used Easeus for all my partition management under Windows. When you ask it to perform a function that needs total control of the disk, it will re-boot the PC and run the desired function before letting the PC boot Windows. It has yet to fail me.
Like all major changes to your PC, have a solid backup before making changes.

The re-boot is like when you ask Windows to do a scan on your ā€˜Cā€™ disk where Windows is booted from. Windows will inform you it can not do the scan until the PC is re-boot. Windows utility runs the scan after the re-boot and before Windows is loaded.

1 Like

I do not doubt that Easeus does a good job with partitions. The question is have you ever used it in this particular situation? This not a routine operation but a specific deletion of an existing second OS partition and then extending the Windows partition to occupy that position. The process has ground to a halt half way through. Do you know how to proceed?

Actually, if I may correct you, this is as routine as it gets. Nothing special about it. Just delete the partitions as we told you, thats it.

If you read my posts with care you will see that I have tried to delete the partition but the peocess has come to a halt half way through and Disk Manager provides no way to delete the partition or to extend the Windows partition. I think this makes it a special a special operation.

Get to this state again and delete the partitions.

i think part of the point is that sometimes a different program or tool will work when for reasons we canā€™t determine another would not. if you are waiting for someone who has been in the exact same position as you are in now to give you the one answer that worked for them, there is no guarantee that same answer would work for you or that such a person or situation actually exists.

there are other linux programs like parted or cfdisk that may be able to help even if gparted did not work.

1 Like

As far as I understood, only the Windows way did not work in the end. So I suggested to use gParted, instead.

You really must read through the posts more carefully. This is the state Iā€™m in. The point is that Windows Disk Manager does not allow deletion to complete nor for the Root partition to be extended.

Yes, that is what I said. Now go to gParted and fix this issue. Delete the partitions and extend the Windows partition.

Sorry to come in to this late butā€¦

Why get rid of Linuxā€¦

Ok I digress
If you still have access to Windows 7 then reinstall it and select all the disk for the use of Windows
But the main issues
Updates from the original disks
Updates and security patches for 7 to stay safe

All this returns to why Windows 7 and not Linux
With either wine to run Windows stuff on
Or
Virtual Windows 7

But I am a Linux convert ā€¦