Upgrade to Ubuntu 18 will not boot

See here for Product key: https://tinyurl.com/yyw6rprb Jimany seems keen to keep said M$ for time being.

Cool idea! Hopefully I’ll remember that if I get another.

1 Like

This is very interesting. So if I have two hard drives in the same machine,
one HDD and one SSD, GRUB will let me choose which drive I want to use on startup?
That would be cool.

1 Like

The World is your Oyster, to explore and make it easier for your pleasure, not following M$ lead to pleasure them with your obedience.

Twin disks is another avenue open to you. Keep windoze on your present HDD and install Linux to a SSD.

There again do you need to visit the Dark Side, any more. Brand loyalty or a special need.?

:sunglasses:

Edit 21/02/19 2029hrs typo

Yup. Most machines will accommodate more than two, so you can install several. Just load Windows first, then specify the (usually) sda drive for your Master Boot Record drive.

I have no need for Windows, so it lives on another machine with nothing but games.

2 Likes

This seems be problem with the grub ( init kernel of linux ).An installation of Windows
can overwrite the grub, but the Ubuntu incredibly not.
You spoken that uses Windows 10 too, then you needs:
1- FORMAT ALL YOUR HD ( hard disk ). make backup before :slight_smile:
2- Instal FIRST the Windows 10, after the Linux. at other partition ( Why ? )
because that the WIN 10 delete the Linux boot.
The Linux put the Win in a menu, for you choice what S.O. to use.
PS: When Format your Hd, uses Gparted for format and create two news partitions for
Linux and Windows 10.:hugs:

It can and it does, actually.

GRUB will look at all your drives and will let you run any of them on the list. If you install grub customizer, you can rename them, hide some entries (recovery, etc), and use different colors, type faces, and background.

1 Like

I have encountered the exact same problem and it apparently has something to do with the video card. I have had success installing the exact same Ubuntu 18 version on two other PC’s but the one pc will only run Ubuntu 16. In my case it is an older PC going back to 2008. That PC will run the latest versions of CentOS and Red Hat linux but it just will not run Ubuntu 18.
Bob

1 Like

there is a chart just a little ways down this page that shows the hardware updates for 16.04 ended last year and the maintenance updates will last until 2021.

https://www.ubuntu.com/about/release-cycle

Thank cordx. Ubuntu 16 will be okay for while then.

Am curious. Have you any thoughts or criticisms of the “Tails OS” ?
I was just reading about it online.

1 Like

like you, i have only done some online reading about tails. i like what i have read so far. it is purported to be very security- and privacy-focused. from what i understood in my limited reading, it is designed to be run in a live environment from a usb. i just went to their page to check and that is their stated intention (in the quote and link below). i don’t think that means it can’t be installed to a laptop or desktop. just last week or so someone posted a link to a computer store in a different country that pre-loads laptops with all manner of different linux distros and tails was on that list.

Tails is a live operating system that you can start on almost any computer from a USB stick or a DVD.

https://tails.boum.org/

i had never really noticed before, but live is even in their name acronym. tails = the amnesiac incognito live system :slight_smile:

I think I might try installing “Tails” tomorrow. Am thinking I can install it right over Ubuntu.

are you thinking about using tails because of the privacy and security aspect (if you don’t mind my asking), or are you just wanting to replace ubuntu?

It is assumingly the best known Privacy OS, but I don’t think it is the best. It always depends on the use case, too, though.

Should be clear before further advice.

The privacy and security seems like a good idea. Replacing Ubuntu isn’t really necessary I guess, at least until 2021. I mainly use Ubuntu now just to pay bills online or online orders. I’m only doing that because somehow I got the idea that Windows was always being hacked and Ubuntu was safer in that regard. But I really do not know if that’s true or where I got that idea from. So yes I like the idea of added security if it’s actually true.

1 Like

i like the idea of added privacy and security as well. i have tried the tor browser and some android apps to use the tor network (as tails does) in the past for that very reason. i feel fairly safe and secure with the version of ubuntu i use as well. recently @Akito introduced me to a password manager called keepass2 which helps me feel like i am doing better with password management than i was in the past. i think there are different steps we all can take to help ourselves be more secure. one of these days i will probably put tails on a usb to try it out and see what it looks like as well as how well it does on my computer :slight_smile:

1 Like

@Jimany @01101111 A couple of years ago I tried out Subgraph OS which was theoretically much superior to Tails, but the homepage currently says it is still in Alpha and I don’t see much changes there since then, unfortunately. Would like to see it developed further to at least get it out of Alpha. If Subgraph OS would have a stable build, then I think it would be one of the best privacy operating systems out there.

1 Like

subgraph certainly looks interesting, but i’m not sure that it bodes well that they haven’t put out any more releases since late in '17. they did send out a few tweets late last year so maybe there is still reason to hold out hope.

i was going to counter with tinfoil hat (mostly just because i like the name), but it looks like they have been in hibernation even longer.