Using Clonezilla Restore

Hey, I thought you were putting it back into the same machine but a new disk?
That is CPU architecture, not disk?

Otherwise messages look OK

I did. Thatā€™s why I did not understand that. Same machine I made the image from, just a previously used (Windows) M.2 disk.

Iā€™ve had internet outages yesterday and today, so havenā€™t been able to try again. Will attempt again tomorrow.

Thanks,
Sheila

Then it is a nonsense message. Clonezilla got it wrong.

Well, I gave up on getting CZ to properly put the larger LM installed image onto the smaller M.2 disk.

Today, I installed my new 1 TB M.2 SSD and without doing anything to it first, just booted CZ live and used 2nd option ā€˜disk to diskā€™ since they are the same size. It took about 10 min. WOWā€¦fast.

So now I go into BIOS and check, the drive is not there in boot selections, but it is in the NvME storage area. I boot Linux Mint from old SSD and Disks app shows new M.2 by name with exactly same partitions/size as the old SSD.

I chose verbose in CZ and got some messages, most of which I understood. Looking at the image below, CZ appears to be telling me the UUID of new disk has been added and that I will not need to edit grub?

Again with the weird message in yellow about initrd and different system architectureā€“this is the same computer used for the image createdā€“just a new M.2 disk inside said machine.

But I will have to research my motherboard manual for how to get these two drives shown in the BIOS to become options in the boot options.

You can see the two Nvme disks on the left, but they are not on the right in boot choices.

Despite CZā€™s message about EFI, new LM install does not show up in grub menu. Again, this might have something to do with them being unavailable as boot devices in BIOS.

Any suggestions greatly appreciated.

Sheila

Well done.
I think I would first try update-grub in the old LM , and see if it can detect the new copy. It should be listed by os-prober, then when you reboot it should be in the grub menu, and you may be able to boot it.
That will not solve why the BIOS is not offering the new disk as a boot option, ā€¦ it should list all disksā€¦ you will have to look in the BIOS menu.
It may be that your BIOS can not boot from that disk type?

Late thought:
Check that your new disk has a boot flag on the ā€˜/ā€™ partition. Use gparted to check, an if there is no boot flag on ā€˜/ā€™ give it one.
It is possible that the BIOS will ignore a disk that does not have a boot flag on any partition.

I checked and os-prober revealed the new drive as Linux Mint. I updated grub and it showed up and booted from grub.

The key to getting this set in BIOS was a BIOS option I was unfamiliar with:

Boot/Hard Drive BBS Priorities and it showed the current SATA SSD as #1 and the other M.2 drives were listed as 2 & 3. So I made the new M.2 disk with LM cloned onto it as #1.

Editing fstab was not necessary because it is a clone of the SSD and apparently CZ took care of that (as it had stated after completion).

So I am up and running with a successful CZ clone disk to disk.

Sheila Flanagan

3 Likes

Congratulations.
There are a lot of loose endsā€¦ especially why could an image not be restored onto a smaller partition.?
I might do an experimentā€¦ your case is too vital to play with.

and, the boot flag businessā€¦ there was a long discussion between @Daniel_Phillips and myself, ( see Debian Installer Question) and we ended up concluding grub does not need a boot flag, but some Biosā€™s check for it and will not boot if it is absent, especially with legacy boot.

1 Like

I looked into this in gparted (prior to running os-prober) and here is what both old SSD & new M.2 drives showed:

As you can see in the second image, my original LM on SSD / does not have a boot flag, only efi.

In first image, the M.2 drive with an exact copy of the SSD LM also only has boot flag on efi partition. And I am not on legacy boot, but it is my understanding, at least with LM, grub is on EFI and requires the boot flag.

I would also like to know how to get that dern image on the smaller drive as I feel I am wasting space here by using 1 TB for the OS and apps. My intent was to have a small drive for that and use the 1 TB for /home & backups, both CZ, Timeshift & automated backups.

If you figure it out, I still would like to do it and swap around my current setup.

Thanks,
Sheila

You could resize the partitions with gparted , and recover some free spaceā€¦ backup first.

i think the boot flag can be anywhere, so efi is fine. Grub definitely does not require it. Sometimes the bios requires it, especially the bios in a VM. LM probably puts it there for safety.

1 Like

I guess my thoughts were to have those items (/home, backups) on a separate drive in case of drive failure, recovery etc. So just making a separate partition for those things on the same M.2 drive was my first path, but again, figuring it is better to have them on a different drive. Or do you think it matters?

Sheila

Backups, especially CZ , on a separate driveā€¦ so they protect against disk failure.
TS ā€¦ not so important where you keep those
/home ā€¦ yes on the same drive. Those dot files in /home
are vitalā€¦ you need them in the system backup.

Not ā€œhomeā€ per se, just user directories on a different drive (the way I have been using them on ext HDD) but putting them on a separate partition on same drive might work as long as they are backed up.

Thatā€™s why I wanted the larger drive for CZ images (which can take a bit of space after time) as well as the backups of system, etc. on a separate drive in case of drive failure.

Afterthought, if I partition the new drive, CZ will make an image of all partitions, including that new one for backups and user files?

Thanks,
Sheila

That will work, and will be faster.

Yes, you dont really want CZ making a backup of TS files.
I think I would use the new disk for system and data, and put TS and CZ files elsewhere.
You dont need to keep more than about 3 CZ
dumps. Remove the older ones regularly.

A backup strategy takes a bit of thought, doesnt it? It is closely tied to the way you partition disks.

1 Like

Yes, that is why I am still trying to decide the best wayS to cover all bases.

As we have seen, CZ is great for image backups. Timeshift is good for system backups to roll back on same system. But I also need to have an automated backup (Resilio if I can figure it outā€“been a long time since I used it) for user files (then backing those up to home server) since I am getting rid of the cloud in 2 weeks.

Sheila

1 Like

My (non automatic) backup for user data files is to rsync them to an external usb disk. I can run that as often as I want, while I am working. I suppose I could put it in cron or anacron and automate it.

1 Like

Thatā€™s what I am researching next. Have never used cronjobs, but know that I could somehow automate the rsync command for the user directories, whether on another partition or another disk. Just havenā€™t felt comfortable yet with all the flag options for rsync but I will take it step by step and figure it out.

Thanks,
Sheila

2 Likes

Hi Sheila, :wave:

Using grsync as a GUI for rsync makes it easier to deal with the flags.
You just have to select what rsync is supposed to do for you:

and

Hope it helps.

Cheers from Rosika :slightly_smiling_face:

3 Likes

Thanks so much @Rosika . I did not know there was a GUI for rsync. That will help tremendously with my trepidation of try and fail.

Sheila

3 Likes

YouĀ“re welcome, Sheila.

On DEB-based systems you can install it with
sudo apt-get install grsync .

HereĀ“s its homepage: OPByte: Grsync rsync GUI interface frontend for Linux, Windows and Mac OS X

Cheers from Rosika :slightly_smiling_face:

4 Likes

Hi Rosika,
Thank you.
I didnā€™t know of a GUI for rsync either

Jorge

2 Likes