Web-stick disconnects randomly

Hi altogether,

every now and then it happens that my web-stick disconnects all by itself.
About half a minute after that it connects again and I can establish a new connection to my umts-provider. But it gets annoying.

My modem is:

lsusb | grep -i huawei
Bus 001 Device 024: ID 12d1:1001 Huawei Technologies Co., Ltd. E169/E620/E800 HSDPA Modem

On https://gist.github.com/Rosika2/030b75abbd24f98cba5c099c1435b7c3 I posted the output of my syslog-messages which might give a clue
as to what´s happening. But I really need help with that as I´m bit at a loss here.

Thanks a lot in advance.
Rosika :confused:

P.S.: my system: Lubuntu 16.04.5 LTS

i am not saying this is a definitive answer, but i found this (older, from 2014) post that suggests that the modem might be going bad. your logs are similar in places and state that it is the modem that is “hanging up”.

15 13:10:10 rosika-Lenovo-H520e pppd[4077]: Modem hangup

https://www.spinics.net/lists/linux-usb/msg100746.html

Hello cordx,

thank you for your answer.

Well I´m pretty sure (or at least I hope) my web-stick is still alright. I can often use it for quite a lengthy time without problems. Sometimes 11 days in a row or even more.
Anyway, I looked at the link you provided. There it says:

Either the firmware crashed, or the device
powered down for some other reason.
You could try a powered hub to eliminate any power related problems.

So I took a closer look at the wiring of all my USB-devices. My web-stick is connected to a hub which itself is connected to a hub with power-supply. Of course there are other power consumers as well.
Therefore I attach an image which illustrates the state of affairs.
Perhaps it could have something to do with it… :roll_eyes:

Greetings
Rosika

1 Like

Sorry if you have done this, I have found in the past that a simple clean of the connection helps. I know this is not directly related to your problem, it is something I have done using a lens cleaner directly on the cloth and then cleaning the connection. It may or may not help. If you get a solution can you let us all know as it will help others in our community if they have a similiar problem

1 Like

Explains the symptoms very well. You must absolutely make sure that the connected devices get enough power. Especially when multi-level hubs are used. The probability that the power output is too low, is very high. You should connect to hubs with dedicated power supplies. your 2 4-hub switches are pretty terrible, because not only do they draw power from only a single USB, it is additionally only a single USB port from another hub. That is, regarding the electricity, a terrible set up. You definitely will need to fix that or not only your wireless stick will have issues.

Oh Satan, you even use an extension cord for the webstick… That absolutely makes sense. You are lucky the stick worked for so long, in the first place. :joy:

Solution for the webstick:
Connect the wireless stick to a USB port on your motherboard directly or at least to the 7-slotted hub.

Solution for everything:
Don’t use so many USB hubs. Especially with additional extension cords etc. If you really really have to then buy hubs with dedicated power supplies. You must.

Additional tip: I assume you don’t need all the USB sticks connected at the same time. Especially if you have a low amount of USB slots to choose from, you should really only stick in the things you really need sticked in at the time you are using the computer.

1 Like

Hi all,

thanks for your input.

@ElectricDandySlider:
Yes, that´s a good suggestion although I think what Akito described might be the solution here.

@Akito:
I was already thinking along those lines. Thank you for confirming it.
I was under the impression that due to the fact that everything which is USB-wise connected according to my image eventually is powered by my 7 Hub which has its own power-supply, everything should be alright.
But eventually the web-stick gets too little power. I understand that now.

Yet what puzzles me is that often - for quite a lengthy time - the web-stick works without any issues.
Anyhow,

That´s what I´m going to do. Hopefully I will get better results.

Thank you so much for your help.

Many greetings.
Rosika :smile:

2 Likes

@Akito:

Oh, by the way: Do you think connecting the web-stick directly to the 7 Hub (with its own power-supply) makes much of a difference ?
I mean as it is now it´s almost the same. Just with an additional Hub in between.
But the web-stick is the only device attached to that one.

1 Like

Yes, but it still only delivers the power of 1 USB slot. Nothing more. Which equals to probably about 1A, which suffices for a single device but not for a whole hub + 4 devices attached to it.

If this hub is not some chinaware lying about its capabilities, then attaching something to one of its slots should equal to attaching it to the motherboard directly. Power-wise. Not data-wise. The data is still shared between 7 devices max. on the hub. So, theoretically, if you power a HDD, 2 USB Sticks and make I/O operations to and from them then your connection speed with the webstick would slow down.

1 Like

@Akito:

thanks again for the clarification.

O.K. That makes sense. I understand now.

Well, both the 7 Hub with own power-supply and the 4 Hub with on-/off-switch (the one the web-stick is attached to, as the only device) are from Hama. I should think they are not entirely worthless.

There´s just one thing I have no documentation about: Does the 4 Hub with on-/off-switch draw power itself? If so then connecting the web-stick
directly to the 7-Hub with power-supply would make sense…

And could that slowing down of the connection speed account for the disconnecting-phenomenon?

Well, if it doesn’t have its own power supply, then it has no choice to but to draw power from the USB slot, else it wouldn’t work without electricity.

The disconnection is directly linked to the low power. The lower data transfer is just a further inconvenience that might happen.

@Akito:

O.K. Thanks to your help I think I´ve learned quite a lot about how USB and Hubs work.
As the 4 Hub with on-/off-switch doesn´t have its own power-supply it´s clear that it draws current itself. That´s what I was guessing, too. Thanks for pointing that out. So it might really be worth trying to leave that one out.

Good, that´s what I wanted to know.

Now I think I have learned enough to experiment further.
Thank you so much for your help and patience with me. I´m really glad to get help in this friendly forum.

Have a nice Sunday.
Greetings
Rosika :smile:

1 Like

Hi Rosita , you probably mean your “WiFi stick” connecting your PC to the modem .
Since 2 days a Netgear WG111T stick has the same problem . Just an hour ago I changed to a Blue-Next stick ,which remains on .
Perhaps just a coincidence problem .
I am running MX16 Linux on a Compac desktop PC with a Pentium 4 CPU from AD 2015 . Still performing well.
Earlier today I installed MX17.1 Linux ,non-PAE (Physical Address Extension) on an AD 2005 Acer Travelmate 6000 laptop , running well. I am very impressed by MX Linux which I happily use on old 32 bit PCs .

Frank in County Wicklow Ireland

1 Like

@ wicklowham:

Hello Frank,

thanks for your reply.

No. Perhaps I didn´t express myself correctly when referring to “web-stick”.

What I mean is a umts-stick which connects to a mobile network. Here in Germany it´s the e-plus service provider as far as I know. I purchased the stick at Aldi and thus use the medion-mobile provider which itself accesses e-plus.

But it´s interesting to learn about your Netgear-experience.
I myself have a Netgear WIFI-stick (Netgear Wireless-N 300 USB Adapter WNA3100).
But I can use it only sporadically to access my neighbour´s WLAN (with his consent of course :wink:). Personally I don´t have an internet-router.
Yet as this connection is pretty fragile, to say the least. I cannot always depend on it and therefore I´m often forced to use my umts-stick. And that´s the one that gave me those problems.

What I´ve done now as a first step is to eliminate the extension cord leading to the umts-stick. Perhaps a bit less resistance…
If that doesn´t work well I´ll try other things (as described by @Akito above).

Thanks again and many greetings.
Rosika :blush:

1 Like

A quick update FYI: E-Plus was eaten by O2, which is a sub-company of Telefónica Deutschland, which means that it almost makes no difference at all anymore, which provider you get a contract from, because this monopoly handles everything for you, now. :+1:
That’s very consumer-friendly and totally not against the people, I know.

If he uses an abled router, then he can create certain access times for you as a user of his connection, so you can use the internet every time he isn’t using it.

Seems like you are living far from any city.

It not only makes the data and power transfer worse, it adds an additional layer of what could “break” (i.e. not work as expected anymore) so maybe at some point you might find yourself fighting an issue for so long, even though the cord is just broken. Already happened to many people I know, including myself.

In my experience, removing an extension cord or just changing to a shorter cable can make a difference like day and night. E.g. one of my Pis wouldn’t boot up with a medium long (like 1m maybe?) cable. I then changed to a 5cm cable and it worked. :+1:

1 Like

Hi Akito,

thanks for your latest reponse.

Well, it´s really a small town, but the thing with my neighbour´s wlan is that every now and then it needs a reset when it happens that I get no ip-adress assigned to me by the router.
It´s possible that the connection works on a daily basis over a period of one or two months and then suddenly it fails.
That´s when I need my umts-stick.

That´s my hope, too. After removing the extension cord I can say that the umts-stick works fine … until now. :wink:
But only time will tell.

Tnx again and many greetings.
Rosika

1 Like

Probably you should have your own internet service rather than mooching off of others. In my country, that’s called ‘theft of service,’ and has some nasty legal problems.

I don’t think she was doing anything wrong if you read her posts on here particularly the one above your post. Perhaps you would like to rephrase your post once you have done so.

1 Like

I’m sorry if I misread anything. What I could understand from what she was writing was that she was harvesting wifi net access from public and/or private outlets and that she didn’t subscribe to a service. Where does she say that she is paying for her own access?

First of all, it seems you have an americano-capitalistic view on the world, which not everyone on the world has.
Secondly, they weren’t “leeching off” anything, because the owner of the connection gave consent.

That said, even if he didn’t, the little internet they are using aren’t of importance and I don’t think one should be legally penalized for that, as long as the connection is used only for thing that aren’t against the law.

Internet access or bandwidth is a commodity for sale in my economy. Some merchants provide it free, as an amenity for customers. Accessing the wifi of a neighbor, with permission, is acceptable. Maybe my confusion is not knowing what a ‘umts-stick’ is. There are several ways to access the internet, worldwide, and most of them cost money. The value of an item doesn’t change the legality or morality of taking it without permission. Ad hominem remarks are unnecessary, as I’m sure you’ll agree.