šŸ‘‹ We're a new non-profit

Hi everyone, Iā€™m Glenn, the Executive Director of Science & Design, a new public interest non-profit based in the US! Our organization builds and maintains free, open-source software and helps other non-profits do the same.

We have a lot of amazing people on the team, including the cofounder of Riseup.net, the creators of OnionShare and the Snowflake pluggable transport, and many other passionate contributors to this community.

The causes our organization prioritizes are press freedom, activism, LGBTQ+ rights, and accessibility technology.

We hope to learn from this community and be a resource. Weā€™re looking forward to joining the discussion in this space!

:v::heart::fist:

Hi Glenn and welcome,
Can you tell us about some of the open source software that you support
Can I just ask you politely to keep in mind that itsFOSS is about software. Some of the other ā€œcausesā€ that you mention would be out of place here.
Regards
Neville

1 Like

I think, this post should have gone to the ā€œintroduce yourselfā€ topic, without external links.

3 Likes

I can think of an even better place for it. :rofl:

1 Like

Hi,

Thanks for reaching out to the community. Iā€™d suggest you to rename your profile with your personal name, and interact/discuss with our community personally without needing to promote your organization.

Considering the organization helps build/maintain FOSS, I think this post should not be an issue as an introduction @abhishek.

Looking forward to what your team aims to discuss/contribute to our community! :slight_smile:

3 Likes

According to my friend @kovacslt in a privat letter, he will never return to this community. His goal was to put an add in here, and he has done it. Do we ever want to discuss sex issues here? I donā€™t think so! But I admit, it was a very diplomatic respond of you! :blush:

1 Like

Am I getting this right or wrong

Throw in an add here (IT"SFOSS) with pretense to want to be a part of the community here so then the self promotion is shown and then be gone without contributing.

I must reading this wrong ?

I think you know the answerā€¦
Maybe he didnā€™t like our ā€˜welcomeā€™ posts?..

1 Like

That part is OK.
The problems are

• other issues outside FOSS guidelines are mentioned
  • links with a touch of advertising motive

The way to deal with it is to ban links in first time posts.

1 Like

Welcome, Glenn! Glad to have you and glad to see your support for FOSS. Like you, I am here to learn from and contribute to the FOSS community. There are some great, knowledgeable folks here, some of whom have donated personal time to help me solve a few technical problems. Canā€™t say enough good about them. You will find this to be a hospitable place ā€“ for the most part. The caveat is that we all share a love of FOSS, but my experience has been that this is not a forum for political beliefs, ideologies and discussions of that sort. I welcome your activism and applaud your concerns for the greater good, but I really hope, for the sake of a Zen and harmonious community, you keep that to yourself moving forward. And if you have any advertising motives and are trying to reach an audience for product, I wish you well, but I donā€™t think most of us want to read it here. I am not the police force of this forum, and I donā€™t want to be, so thatā€™s just a little advice ā€“ worth exactly what you paid for it.

At any rate, welcome, and I look forward to reading more about the work youā€™re doing in the FOSS space.

2 Likes

I do appreciate the passionate feedback. In the spirit of community, Iā€™ve already addressed some of the things and will offer a response to the others.

Yes, I am introducing our new organization to communities we care about. Call it promoting ourselves in the community. Inherently isnā€™t every engagement an act of self-promotion? Like the profiles on this platform linking to our other accounts.

Regarding our organizationā€™s focus, the common thread in our work is that we believe in free and open-source software. FOSS is a community and a cause. So are press freedoms, activism, LGBTQ+ rights, and a11y tech. We do not exist outside of our political and ideological beliefs.

I understand that not all of our priorities will always overlap with the personal priorities of every individual. But our mission isnā€™t to convert anyone to anything. Itā€™s to help make a difference for real people facing real risk.

So, thanks for your warm welcome to the community. Weā€™re looking forward to contributing to the space.

1 Like

Well, I tried. I failed. Good luck, Glenn.

2 Likes

Well, you did and you did. :yawning_face:

2 Likes

@scidsg

Young men with plans will prosper the planet !

Never lose sight of the goals you set out with.

Good things will happen to you IF you have the correct intention

Yes, can we have constructive contributions please.

1 Like

You never mentioned that you were a preacher! Iā€™m surprised.
Shocked Oh No GIF by YĆŖu Lu

1 Like

Problem begins here: our beliefs makes us heavily oppose each others causes.

Romans 1:18-32

18For the wrath of God is revealed from heaven against all ungodliness and unrighteousness of men, who hold the truth in unrighteousness; 19Because that which may be known of God is manifest in them; for God hath shewed it unto them. 20For the invisible things of him from the creation of the world are clearly seen, being understood by the things that are made, even his eternal power and Godhead; so that they are without excuse: 21Because that, when they knew God, they glorified him not as God, neither were thankful; but became vain in their imaginations, and their foolish heart was darkened. 22Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools, 23And changed the glory of the uncorruptible God into an image made like to corruptible man, and to birds, and fourfooted beasts, and creeping things. 24Wherefore God also gave them up to uncleanness through the lusts of their own hearts, to dishonour their own bodies between themselves: 25Who changed the truth of God into a lie, and worshipped and served the creature more than the Creator, who is blessed for ever. Amen. 26For this cause God gave them up unto vile affections: for even their women did change the natural use into that which is against nature: 27And likewise also the men, leaving the natural use of the woman, burned in their lust one toward another; men with men working that which is unseemly, and receiving in themselves that recompence of their error which was meet. 28And even as they did not like to retain God in their knowledge, God gave them over to a reprobate mind, to do those things which are not convenient; 29Being filled with all unrighteousness, fornication, wickedness, covetousness, maliciousness; full of envy, murder, debate, deceit, malignity; whisperers, 30Backbiters, haters of God, despiteful, proud, boasters, inventors of evil things, disobedient to parents, 31Without understanding, covenantbreakers, without natural affection, implacable, unmerciful: 32Who knowing the judgment of God, that they which commit such things are worthy of death, not only do the same, but have pleasure in them that do them.

2 Likes

20 centuries of human culture have supported that
End of debate

2 Likes

Iā€™d suggest everyone not to get involved/start discussions that are irrelevant to the forum.

Itā€™s all about open-source and Linux.

@scidsg Thanks for your prompt response and changes to your profile. Welcome to Itā€™s FOSS community!

4 Likes