What music do you listen to?

I’d like to hear the music you listen to. I listen a lot of music from a lost of different genres, there are only a few that I never listen(ed) to. I would kindly request you to start posting your likings with examples chosen by you. When I get to it, I will update this post with my own stuff, periodically.

I think I will start with the “softest” music I listen to and then periodically upgrading to the “hardest” music. This is how I categorize music in my head for easier remembering.

Zara Larsson - Bad Boys

Listening to this usually, when I am busy doing something and I want to have something playing in the background so it’s not silent around.

Dua Lipa - New Rules

Listening to this usually, when I am busy doing something and I want to have something playing in the background so it’s not silent around.

Ting Tings - That’s Not My Name

The Chiffons - He’s So Fine

Usually listening to this when I am on my way somewhere, but I want to chill down and relax, sometimes up my mood, as well.

Sleep Party People - Not Human At All

When I want to calm and chill down but I also want to focus on the music and be more sucked into it.

Man Without Country - King Complex

When I want to calm and chill down but I also want to focus on the music and be more sucked into it.

Alborosie - Kingston Town

When I’m feeling funny and am busy doing something or just want to listen to funny and chill music.

Drum & Bass Reggae Mix

Very good background music, also very motivating when doing something.

The Underdog Project - Summer Jam (Blondee & Roberto Mozza Remix)

Often listening to this type of music when busy with doing computer stuff.

Dua Lipa & Silk City - Electricity (MK Remix)

Often listening to this type of music when busy with doing computer stuff.

HAIM - If I Could Change Your Mind (MK Remix)

Often listening to this type of music when busy with doing computer stuff. It is also very motivating and pushing mood up.

Sigrid - Don’t Feel Like Crying (MK Remix)

Often listening to this type of music when busy with doing computer stuff. It is also very motivating and pushing mood up.

Netsky - Gold Bay

Either a very hyping up background music or when I want to get more active and dance around a bit.

Die Antwoord - Banana Brain

Hyping up, motivating and funny at the same time, when I want to get more active and motivated or dance around a bit.

Eurobeat Mix #4

When playing League of Legends competitively without a partner.

Madsen - Mein Herz Bleibt Hier

Motivating, upping the mood, easy to listen to, heart warming.

Anti-Flag - You Can Kill The Protester But You Can’t Kill The Protest

Lyrics are motivating in conjunction with the music, to start opening one’s mouth and try to change something about the political situation, whereever you are.

Mindless Self Indulgence - Personal Jesus

Funny, hyping up; when I want to get hyper a different way.

Rammstein - Weißes Fleisch

You need to understand the lyrics to understand the music.

Cancer Bats - Hail Destroyer

When I need to get hyper in an offensive way.

Confide - Such Great Heights

Listening to this when I am on my way to somewhere, but I don’t want to chill down.

Alesana - The Murderer

Listening to this when I am on my way to somewhere, but I don’t want to chill down.

The Devil Wears Prada - Danger: Wildman

System Of A Down - Forest (#2 Favourite sharing with Opeth)

Well, not much to explain here. You know it. If you don’t, there is something missing in your life.

Opeth - Deliverance (#2 Favourite sharing with System of a Down)

Almost as genius as Tool.

Porcupine Tree - Blackest Eyes

Representative for a lot of Progressive Rock I listen(ed) to. I like Progressive music of all types in general and I like the variety between bands, so I listen to a lot of Progressive Rock from different artists. I don’t listen this music by the way, I focus on this type of music.

Tool - Lateralus (#1 Absolute Favourite)

Absolute genius. If I really want to delve into music and be consumed by it and feel like I am in a different universe when listening to it. Absolute genius.
It’s basically like classical music, but for those who don’t want to listen to soft instruments like Piano and Strings all the time.

Veil Of Maya - It’s Not Safe To Swim Today

When I want the math from Progressive Metal, but I want it harder.

Between The Buried And Me - Selkies: The Endless Obsession

When I want the math from Progressive Metal, but I want it harder.

Lamb Of God - Blood Junkie

When driving a car.

Meshuggah - MonstroCity

When I want the math from Progressive Metal, but I want it even harder + djents.

Job For A Cowboy - Entombment Of A Machine

When I want to listen to hard music, because I feel like it. Sometimes used when I need to get through a tough situation.

That’s not all, folks! This is just a first taste.

Bonus:

Single tracks and videos that I find interesting, funny, or worth mentioning.
2 Likes

By listen to music do you mean on the web, or just on the laptop or other device ? Just to clarify, because to be honest I rarely listen to music on the web or on my laptop, unless I am looking for something that I’ve heard on the television. I did this Rag ’ n’ Bone Man for example when I heard him sign Human and then I purchased the Album, which is great.

Nice topic to start by the way.

I usually listen to music on YouTube first, then, if I like the one song from this example artist, then I listen to more songs of that artist and if I like 80% of this artist’s songs, then I am considering to buy their music at some point. Though, I mostly buy only from my favourite artists, because if I would buy every CD of the music I listen to, I would spend all my life’s money for CDs and/or DVDs.

3 Likes

So who are your favourite Artists then?

I will update my original posts with examples of music and add a short subtitle, if necessary, e.g. mentioning my favourite artists. It will probably take a couple of days until my list will be near to filled enough to get a grasp of what I listen to.

2 Likes

My favourite are

• Alan Parsons Project
  • Phil Collins
  • Genesis (before and after Peter Gabriel)

and as an 80s child, (almost) everything from that era.
Adding “NDW - Neue Deutsche Welle” you guys may only know from Nena (99 red balloons)…

3 Likes

I like the Blues, Rhythm & Blues, Blues-Rock, Folk, Folk Rock, Prog Rock, Hard Rock, Metal, some Industrial, and the occasional song that has sommat about it.

:sunglasses:

Nice.
Not kind of my genre, but cool bagpipe interpretion!

1 Like

Buddy Holly, John Lennon,(post Beatles) Jimi Hendrix, Fleetwood Mac with Peter Green in it (not afterwards) Jefferson Airplane, Tyrannosaurus Rex, T.Rex until 72, then Marc Bolan and T.rex until 1977. Blondie, Bruce Springsteen early years, New Order. Now just dip in and out of stuff, but also love Beethoven, Tchaikovsky, Debussy, when the mood takes me and some Carpenters (Karen’s voice I love). Oh and for fun tamla motown, not motown as my big sis used to have it on all the time when we were kids. Oh I forgot to add Nirvana which was silly really as I was listen to Smells Like Teen Spirit as I was doing and the Queen of Rock Lita Ford .

1 Like

Lots of stuff - too much to list probably…

Right now (on my morning commute) I’ll be listening to some AC/DC - but NOT with Brian Johnson - Bon Scott is the only era of AC/DC I’ll listen too (right now I’m reading a book on his last 3 years of life - Bon - The Last Highway by Jesse Fink) - saw them play live once - December 1976 in Melbourne (I was 14, was my first live gig)…

But I love a lot of stuff - tend to swing more towards heavier music, Black Sabbath mostly (Ozzy and Dio era), but also Led Zeppelin… but more recent stuff too, Faith No More, The Melvins, Soundgarden, Fear Factory, Rammstein, Deftones, Mastodon, Godflesh, Ministry, Nine Inch Nails, Static X… and even some black metal like Watain and Behemoth… I subscribe to some music genres I really like, Stoner/Fuzz - and occasionally buy new music from Bandcamp - one of my favourites I found recently was a Greek band called “1000 Mods” (they’re coming to Perth WestOz next month!)

But - I also love early hip-hop music, like Public Enemy, Warren G and Nate Dogg, Ice T, plus some later Aussie hip-hop acts like Hilltop Hoods, Seth Sentry, Illy…

And I love some classical music too - Vivaldi, Mozart, Haydn, Monteverdi, Beethoven, Samuel Barber…

And occasionally I might hear something, e.g. a live band warming up - recently heard California “metal” band Deafheaven “warm up” so listened to some of their stuff, then a week later another US band playing a live gig across from where I work called “Beach House”…

Plus Neil Young, Pink Floyd, Tom Waits, Warren Zevon, REM, Blue Oyster Cult, The Clash, Kate Bush, The Cure, David Bowie, The Who, Yes, The Drones, Tropical F**k Storm, plus many more…

I’d have to say my favourite band of all, of all time, would have to be Tool… can’t wait till their new album (first since 2006) gets released, hopefully this year :smile:

edit : I also listen to a reasonable amount of “non-Western” music - mostly Greek, but some Armenian, Palestinian, Turkish, Iranian…

edit: I left out one of my all time favourite bands - Thin Lizzy!!! How could I leave them out?

3 Likes

I once was an ethnomusicologist (think anthropology of music) so it is unfair to say a lot. Let me just suggest Music to Program By:
Dawn of MIDI, Dysnomia
Toumani Diabate, New Ancient Strings
Philip Glass, Opening as played by Gamelan Pacifica.
Any of the harpsichord music of Rameau.

2 Likes

That bagpiper is playing outside Fremantle Markets - i.e. West Australia (Fremantle is Perth’s “port”)…

2 Likes

I like a range of stuff from Veela & Laura Brehm on the softer side to Paramore (their older stuff), Skillet, Nightwish, Lacuna Coil, Linkin Park, Tool, Rage against the machine, Sound Garden, Foo fighters, Muze etc.

Nightwish is my current obsession. Such amazing talent and depth to their music. :slight_smile:

1 Like

The priests of Google! The temples of FB.

Greek? As in Vasilis Tsitsanis? Rembetika? COOL!
Armenian? As in Djivan Gasparyan? Richard Hagopian? WOW!
and on and on!

Yes I like Rembetika - e.g. “The Athenians”, but I like Pontic Greek music too - as practised by the fantastic Areti Ketime… I love the mix of what we think of as possibly Turkish or Middle-Eastern, and Greek, in the Pontic Greek music “sound”… I’m no scholar, I listen to what sounds good to me… And Areti has a great voice (even as an 11 year old) and her playing of the hooded dulcimer : but especially her rendition of Tzivaeri, which she did at the opening ceremony of the Athens Olympics.

I lived in Greece as a child, often in places outside of the typical tourist areas (e.g island Kythera at the bottom of the Peloponnese, in 1971) - remember hearing a lot of Greek music at the time… then when we came back to Australia, my parents would often play a couple of Mikis Theodorakis albums they had in their collection.

One of my favourite Rembetika artists was George Mouflouzelis - been deceased 20+ years or more?

I also love the stuff that George Xylouris from Crete (we lived in Crete too, Iraklion) does with Australian drummer Jim White : “Xylouris White”…

1 Like

Wow!
What a great variety…
And so fitting within our overall topic GNU/Linux.
It’s all about the freedom of choice and one’s own liking.

Have a nice start of the week, you all!

4 Likes

AC/DC - but NOT with Brian Johnson - Bon Scott is the only era of AC/DC I’ll listen too

I would have agreed with you, until AC/DC released Razors Edge, circa 91. Thunderstruck blow my socks off, it had that old RAW power, the band had, when Bon Scott was about. This was after quietly suffering, listening to both my daughters, choice of music of the late 80’s and early 90’s dross.

Papa got a brand new…!

:sunglasses:

1 Like

Anything from the 60’s and 70’s. Beatles, Stones, Abba, Mamas & Papas. There has been nothing since then, except maybe Queen.

To make it easier, here is a link to a YouTube of my top pick for music to listen to while programming.
The group, Dawn of MIDI, uses all acoustic instruments to mimic the sound of electronics. Everyone, including the piano, is playing tuned percussion.
I recommend this as the most innovative sounds I have ever heard.

1 Like