What's your favorite Linux and/or Windows Game?

I let “oh my zsh” do 95% of the “heavy lifting” to format my $PS1 etc - but I do tweak one of the themes it ships with (gnzh.zsh-theme) - because I can’t read red text on black background - so I sed the .zsh-theme file I use, and replace “red” with “141” which is some kinda purplish/bluish colour (I’m red-green colour blind) - that’s much easier to read on a black terminal window…

2 Likes

Hell yeah they take you away from the humdrum of real life for a while, in my case hours and hours. There are so many adult themed video games out there, Grand Theft Auto 5 and all the others that can play under Proton now without having to tinker too much, to get them going.

Resident Evil 2 remake straight out of the bag in Proton. My favorites are the Tomb Raider series that Feral Interactive ported over. The only problem with Proton is will games still get ported over to Linux? Also having for some of them, still have to tinker with code to get them going. One day Proton will have just one version that works for all Windows games, but for me at the moment I’m still playing games in Windows.

2 Likes

I remember that one! I really liked the quests and the exotic landscapes. I never had the patience to play it to the end, though. The coolest feature was, in my opinion, Lara herself. I found her so cool that I adopted the shorts and tank top style for an entire summer.

2 Likes

I want to adopt her as my wife, yes she’s graphical but boy she’s hot, hot, hot. :smiley:

2 Likes

Just ordered a new motherboard (AMD) for my gaming setup (bought current one some 10 years ago! - and it can still handle some top shelf titles!) and an M2 1 TB SSD - the only “moving parts” in this thing will be case / power-supply, CPU and GPU fans…

Actual CPU will have to wait for next pay - probably be some kinda AMD Ryzen 5000 or something… fingers crossed it will drop in price in the interim (or a higher spec one will come down in price to my budget of around $500 AUD)…

And it will NOT be running any version of Windows…

Bought the RAM for it 4 years ago (bought DDR4 RAM [4 x 4 GB] for a DDR3 box and never got around to organising a refund)… will probably eventually order 2 x 16 GB and run it with 48 GB of RAM… fingers crossed the 2016 DDR4 RAM will work in this motherboard… When not gaming on it - will probably run a bunch of VM’s on all those extra core/threads…

2 Likes

@TrekJunky
My is
Chess Titans
Mahjong Titans
Purble Place
And all Windows 🪟 7 and Mac OS :video_game: games

1 Like

@TrekJunky
I’d like to play those old lightweight games because they consumed less space on the disk and were interesting
In todays time
What I notice

1 GB
2 GB
4GB
Means in todays times they consume more space than they should

The games like Chess Titans, Purble Place were just 100 MB which is okay in todays times
But who plays those resource hungry games :video_game: ???

1 Like

Me? I don’t spend a fortune on GPU, but, I do have a “consumer” grade NVidia gaming GPU - GTX1650 Super - cost me about $400 AUD…

Resource hungry games :

• Borderlands 2 and Pre-Sequel (yeah - they’re pretty old - but still topshelf IMHO - and play much better on a good GPU and CPU combo)

• Surviving Mars (I just installed it on my Lenovo E495 laptop with Vega 8 graphics to see how it goes)

• Stellaris

• Valheim

• Cossacks 3
    I hadn’t realised just how resource hungry this game was - but - I gave up trying to play it on my 2011 era AMD Phenom II X6 (Ubuntu 18,20 etc), and pretty much “gave up on it…” period - I blamed the game, not my hardware… But decided to check it out again on my current main gaming rig running Ubuntu 20.04, AMD Ryzen 7 3700x on X570-A chipset motherboard (MSI gaming mobo), with GTX1650 and 40 GB RAM - and it IT RUNS and it DOESN’T CRASH and is actually “playable”.

• Planetary Annihilation

Plus all the Windows only games I play through Proton :

• Age of Empires II HD Edition
  • Doom 2014
  • Wolfenstein : The Old Blood

Thats only 10 games - I actually have over 70 games in my Steam library… and that doesn’t count the dozen or so games I’ve bought through GOG… Some games I only get so far, before finding the game too hard - I’m just not quick enough these days e.g. :

• Portal
  • Portal 2
  • Talos Principle
  • Road Redemption (like Road Rash on PS/1 and Nintendo 64)

others I got bored with (mostly have Native Linux versions)
Warhammer 40,000 series
Wargame: (And all the DLC)
The Witcher 2 (never passed the training missions)

– edit –
Also - all the id software games that get new updated native Linux engines - e.g. Doom “1” and II and DLC, plus Hexen / Heretic, plus Quake 1, II, III and IV…

2 Likes

2 of my kids played that too. What I liked especially about it, that it was cooperative. So they had to work together to complete a level.
If one fails, the other fails too… :smiley:

Anyone here knows about other cooperative multiplayer games?
Preferably on Linux, but if it needs WINE, let it be… :wink:

I remember Among Us was a bit similar, but it was competitive as well, there groups played together, the good fellows against the imposters. One of the groups wins, but the group mates need to cooperate. Very good game…

1 Like

Me and my daughters used to do co-op Left 4 Dead, and Left 4 Dead 2 games…

Years ago I used to like playing deathmatches - but my daughters don’t, so it’s always co-op…

However if you play single player L4D or 2, the AI members of you team are pretty good - so - you don’t need co-op necessarily to win. The developers behind L4D series have brought out a new zombie killing game, but as of now, its Windows only, and up until recently, it was working okay in Proton, but then they patched and broke SteamPlay (I think it was the anti-cheat stuff - that ALWAYS breaks SteamPlay - I’m sure VALVE are relentlessly pressuring ALL game studios to make sure Windows only games play on Linux so SteamDeck users don’t hit these issues).

Hmmm - I never thought about co-op in Portal 1 and 2… hmmm… interesting…

– tangent –

When I used to play Doom with colleagues 25+ years ago - I read somewhere (probably compuserve) about a method of having a “slave” player over IPX network - so I tried it out…

I got three 386 PC’s and angled the montitors such that the middle monitor was “me”, the left monitor was my “left slave” and the right monitor was my “right slave’ - and presto! I have VR using 14” CRT monitor and I’ve got peripheral vision in a FPS!

Not many games on Linux support multiple monitors “properly” - but - I did get triple monitor super wide screen monitors working on Serious Sam 3… I love that game… but was VERY disappointed that CroTeam didn’t port SS4 to Linux - maybe they will, but not not right now… Pretty sure the Linux port of SS3 came out the same time as the Windows release…

– end tangent –

On the subject of SS3 and CroTeam - the game “The Talos Principle” is kinda like Portal, in that there’s puzzles to solve and stuff - and - that would be HEAPS easier if there were multiple players… I only stopped playing it 'cause there were puzzles I couldn’t solve - but - it’s got beautiful graphics… I don’t know it Talos has multiplayer mode or not…

1 Like

You’ve never heard of (game) assets, right?

@Akito
Heard it :slight_smile:
But still I love playing old games yet
Chess Titans
Mahjong Titans
Purble Place
Minesweeper

From what I’ve read, it seems like this game generally was unplayable for a lot of players. So, it’s likely they just had a ton of performance bugs in it.

Well, Strategy Games and other games with similar features always are and always will be resource hungry.
Recently, I got to play Anno 1800 with someone who didn’t own the game, because it’s a Free Weekend for this, right now. Ends today.

It even lags on my quite high end-y machine. Why? Because it has TONS to do! If you have 300 houses and each house spawns a couple of tiny humans in front of it and you scroll quickly over all the houses, you naturally will get a lag. That’s pretty much unavoidable, except you maybe spend like 5000 to 20000 bucks on graphics cards + compatible and similarly powerfull CPUs and RAM.

Recently, I played 7 Days to Die with others and it’s quite similar, I suppose. I only ever played the original Left 4 Dead 2 for like an hour and that’s it, so can’t judge.

I personally don’t like playing such games solo. If I have to play alone, I would usually play a game with a story line and a solo friendlier approach, which a lot of single-play-only games offer.
Especially games like all those Zombie games are most of the time much better in Multiplayer/Co-op.

The only game like that I ever played alone and actually enjoyed are the games of the Dead Island series. In my opinion, it’s the best Zombie game, ever.
It has enough story and good world building, so you can play alone without getting bored. Yet, you could play co-op too (which I also did) and it’s even more fun to play the campaign with them.

After all these years since its release, I’ve played through the games alone for a couple of times and I played through them with other people, respectively.
It’s just a lot of fun to use the weaponry available in that game and then even play the campaign with friends.

The only downside is of course the limitation. Once you are done with the campaign, you are pretty much done with the game. Sure, you can do side quests, but I usually do not bother with that anymore. I rather follow a storyline in a campaign and when that’s done, I’m usually done, too.

So you know, why those game are not “wasting” resources but just provide high quality textures, pictures, videos, etc… If you could remove all the visual elements from a game like Call of Duty, you could probably bump down the size of that game from 60GB to 1 or 2GB.

1 Like

@Mina
And what about those who are going mad after certain games ??
Who keep on playing games :video_game: for 10 to 12 hours .

Who tells you that?

Or are you just a 60 year old grumpy man, who doesn’t know how to turn on a computer, locked in the body cage of a young boy? :laughing:

1 Like

@Akito
No I’m not but I do play rarely because I have studies also
Im Computer Science student so I would have less time for those enjoyments
I hope you understand .

No one I keep on reading newspapers and watching news so I hear such kind of cases in India .
Im still 16 years old and I know how to use computers from a very young age
So Im not a old man :slightly_smiling_face::sweat_smile:

Have you heard of all the people reading newspapers and watching news 10 to 12 hours a day?!?!?!?!?!

It’s an epidemic! Watch out the ADDICTION :warning: !!!

DO NOT WATCH TOO MUCH NEWS!

Maybe you are already addicted!!

1 Like

@Akito
I watch the news only for one hour
Not 10 to 12 hours
This is case in India where teens like us have just debited 40000 from our parents account
Not me .

That’s the country’s propaganda that tries to blame games and everything for bad behaviour, even though the blame is actually on the country.

If people play for so long and lose themselves in anything (not just games) every day, it’s not because of the medium consumed (like games) but it’s because India is a fucked up country. I mean, you literally have a caste system, that locks “lower” humans into slums. This is 1821 style, but not worthy of 2021.

So, if you really care about game addicition, you should meaningfully engage in changing how your country makes your people behave.

1 Like