What's your favorite Linux and/or Windows Game?

@Akito
Read this

Im not against anything but see this news from our country India .

This is the real problem. Don’t watch news. Do not read newspapers. Consuming “news” is the true addiction (besides cocaine, etc.) in the 21st century. People consume way too much news. All people would feel and behave better, if they would consume and believe less in “news”.

No. Stop reading news. News is just there to manipulate you.

1 Like

@Akito
Thats Sudhir Chaudhary who covers this news regularly.

I did not play the game, so I may oversimplify it a bit.
Example: one player is holding that gun, and shoots that door on he wall, while the other player can jump through it, and do something on the other side which allows the former to follow him.
At least looked like so, they just had lot of fun, and I was partially watching, what and how they did.
It was long ago…
:slight_smile:

It’s so hard to find a game that isn’t either some kind of war game or what’s called an ego shooter…what’s left are a couple of click and collect games and a few simulations. The kind of games that I like, with personal contact and exchange are very few and far…which I suppose is my excuse for going inworld in second Life.

1 Like

I assume, you have never heard of Steam and GOG.

When I scroll the homepage of GOG completely from beginning to end, I did not see a single FPS or shooter game. It’s all just RPGs and similar games.

2 Likes

Yes yes of course I know both… I think my main problem is that I am looking for a game that is life-like and realistic ( like most of the ego shooters) but that I never seem to find one. Second Life is good because the firestorm viewer (which is used by about 95% of the grid inhabitants) has a Linux package. I have never found another online game (that is not a war game) that has a Linux client.

There are a couple of online games with native Linux support, however the ones I know aren’t “realistic” in terms of graphics fidelity.

The other problem with “realistic” graphics is that online games have to be resource friendly, because online games try to have the biggest player base possible, so excluding an entire group of people who use their potato to play a game is not an option.

When it comes to “life-like” gameplay, which goes into the direction of Second Life, then the problem is, that it’s a niché market, which does not attract too many players. Contrary to that, making an online platform like this would be very arduous and expensive (any online game is, but such would be even more expensive), so it makes little sense to spend in so much resources into a game, many player’s wouldn’t be really interested in using.
It’s easier and cheaper and more profitable to just create a random RPG, where you can have role-play elements.
However, even then, with a relatively promising recipe, it still can fail. This happened to like 90% of the MMORPGs from the past 10 years.

The biggest problem with MMOs is the fact, that they are always extremely expensive and very hard to do right.
Sure, if you make a game like Perfect World and just clone it like 10 times, because that’s what your company does, it’s possible. However, if you are not into this and just starting out, it’s extremely hard to properly make an MMO. Such a project will most likely fail.

Now, with a game like Second Life, it’s even harder, because you have a focus on social interaction and sandbox building, but without explicit game elements, that are as naturally available as in an MMORPG. So, the chance of getting a Third Life is minuscule.

2 Likes