What's your favorite Search Engine?

Mine is Duck Duck Go
Try it here: Duck Duck Go

3 Likes

As much as I hate to admit it, I have to fall back on Google, because it is often the only one that understands Manx terms or place names when I am looking for things - I don’t know if others have the same problem with their place names on other search engines. Yahoo has been the worst I have come across for that tbh

2 Likes

I use both Duck Duck Go and Google. Lately, I have been trying to rely more and more on DDG.

2 Likes

I use mostly Duck Duck Go.

2 Likes

Clearnet is not the only internet!

Since most people refer to Clearnet only, I will add some Onion links.

There are of course also search engines on other Altnets that are isolated from Clearnet, as they only can and will search within the Altnet.
Besides that, there are a lot of topic-specific search engines that will yield by far a lot better results on the given topic than any general search engine would be able to.

2 Likes

I’ve been trying DDG, but like @ElectricDandySlider fall back to google quite often. DDG is good, but google still seem to be a better search engine for me.

I think it shouldn’t be forgotten that Google as a monopoly has an unfair advantage over pretty much any competitor. So even if DDG doesn’t always please the user with top notch results as Google CAN (but not always does), think about what you want to support.
That said, I must say that DDG lately has become a lot better. I had the feeling that DDG is lacking up to a couple months ago, as well. But for this time now I pretty much only refer to DDG anymore, as it improved and it is harder and harder for me to find a search result in Google, that DDG didn’t already show me.

Funnily enough, due to this discussion I searched something on Google after not finding a desired result on DDG. Again, the result was that Google didn’t help to get me even one inch further. DDG again did its job right.

1 Like

Recently switched to using DDG and back to Firefox browser. Not disappointed one bit. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

DuckDuckGo. I sometimes use Google in incognito with my VPN on. I don’t like the idea that Google tracks my every online move.

5 Likes

DDG Never heard of it till today, Installed in Firefox. Will give it a go.
Thanks again Folks

2 Likes

Mainly DuckDuckGo, but Google when DDG cannot find what I need.

all duck all the time :duck:

1 Like

Find myself pleasantly surprised by DDG. So far it’s been working just as well as google search and I love that it’s not tracking me.

1 Like

Startpage is good and claims to respect your privacy.

3 Likes

I use StartPage.com. It uses Google to search but the search is anonymized. It’s similar to what a VPN does.

Google’s data mining, searching mail for key-words, etc., is creepy and I’ve been trying to pull the curtains shut on them. I just switched from Chrome to Firefox.

5 Likes

Have never tried it. Might see what it is like with our place names as that is always fun on most search engines.

Okay so I have tried using it and it is good. You can set it as default in Vivaldi, but not in Opera. It gives exactly the same results as google so I think I might change to it

3 Likes

Don’t forget that Google uses more advanced techniques to track you, like browser fingerprinting. So using Google via VPN (which only changes your IP-address) is quite different from searching via DuckDuckGo or Startpage, you will still be in the filter bubble.

5 Likes

Thanks for the tip. I will remember that.

1 Like

I has been used a found by ALL “google”
However, also used others two less unknown by ALL
are his: Yandex and Qwant … have a nice day ! :nerd_face:

1 Like