Where can I buy a Linux DVD or USB drive?

On several occasions people have asked where they could purchase a Linux DVD or USB drive.
With the demise of the OSDisk site there seemed to be nowhere.
I have found a site

This is not a recommendation. I have not used it.

2 Likes

One of the interesting things you will find on the above site is
LinuxFX 10. A distro that goes all out to look exactly like
Windows 10, and does a rather good job of it

It will run windows apps (in wine) and android apps.
It says “support for older computers” and specifies 2Gb ram and 2 cores, but I was unable to find if it had 32 bit support.

2 Likes

CPU has to be x32_x64 architecture to run LinuxFX and I would have at least 4G of ram. It is a very busy distro!!!

That is, not x86. Right?
Yeah I thought 2Gb was a bit of a squeeze.
So it not really a saviour for very old computers.

Sorry, but what is the point of this site? Downloading an iso and burning it to a USB or CD is the most elementary of tasks. I’m trying to envision a situation where such a service is needed, but all I can come up with is the poor soul with a computer on a desert island far from an ISP. But that soul might not know about ItsFoss; well, maybe in a magazine.
Not trying to be mean, really.

I was kind of thinking the same thing. Anyone interested in Linux who can not perform this task is going to be lost.

4 Likes

Hi Bill and Howard,
This is the information mentioned on the website:

Please Note: This software is free to download from the developers website. You are paying for the label design, disk manufacturing, printing and postage. It is ideal for those who do not have broadband and do not want to use data or for those who do not feel confident burning an ISO file to DVD. These programs are licensed under the terms of the GNU License, the GNU lesser Public License or the Mozilla Public License or are in the Public Domain.

Jorge

1 Like

Well, we can’t help folks get broadband service, but not wanting to use data indicates a deeper problem.

1 Like

Hi Bill,
English is not my native language and I have to translate most of what is written in English.

I have some difficulty translating “who do not have broadband and do not want to use data” because I think “data” should refer to “mobile data” but I don’t know if that’s the right translation.

Jorge

Not wanting to use mobile data makes a lot of sense to me–it’s significantly more expensive than broadband and significantly less secure. My wife and I have the mobile data switch turned off on our phones most of the time and make use of a wifi connection to our broadband router.

Data is not inherently insecure, but mobile data can be and it’s really expensive. Your decision makes sense.

2 Likes

Several cases come to mind

• we had a person some time ago on itsFOSS who did not have a CD drive and had enormous difficulty trying to write a downloaded .iso to a USB drive. They asked if they could buy a usb drive with Ubuntu. We could not find a site.
    That person eventually succeeded, but it took months
  • some distro sites have severe restrictions on downloads. They time you out. There is sometimes peer to peer and I have been forced to use it on occasions. I have also been forced into jigdo… it is very complicated. There have been cases where it would have been simpler for me to buy a DVD.
  • some people have internet connections with a seriously restrictive download limit. It makes sense in that situation to
    avoid large downloads and purchase a DVD instead
  • some people still have internet connections that are so slow that large downloads are impossible.

Why does Linux Magazine still include DVD’s?
Because people want them.

Dont worry Bill, we all look forward to the day when everyone has a you beaut internet connection like yours.

4 Likes

Indeed. You will remember that post on itsFOSS some time back. It took months.
See my reply to Bill

1 Like

Hi Jorge,
You summed it up in one sentence.
See my reply to Bill.
Regards
Neville

1 Like

It is a financial problem for some people.
High use broadband access is expensive.
Broadband access in remote areas is of limited capacity.

1 Like

Hi Jorge,
I did not realize you had that difficulty.
“data” can refer to the material transmitted on any medium…
it does not specifically mean mobile data
Regards
Neville

1 Like

Consider me properly chastened. It’s easy to forget that modern broadband doesn’t exist everywhere.

3 Likes

Hi Neville,
thanks for the clarification.
My doubt was because of “…do not have…and not do want to use…”.

EDIT

and in the sentence “who do not have broadband and do not want to use data” I thought that “data” was still related to the download and, as I understand it, it would be “mobile data”.

Thanks again.

Jorge

3 Likes

This site may also be useful to those with metered Internet service. Not everyone has access to (or can afford) unlimited service so those of us who have it shouldn’t take it for granted. :slight_smile:

My2Cents,

Ernie

3 Likes

There is another site

1 Like

Living in a village where most are second home owners and rent the property without internet connection many here are using 4g connections on the phone and sharing the connection with the computer from the phone i understand the data limits for many.
Thanks for the link to a site selling usb ready to go with the linux already to install.
Yes i used to enjoy getting magazines with cd attached and test software … something i now miss.

1 Like