Why I'm probably GOING back to Xubuntu 18.10

So I did the update yesterday from Cosmic to Disco and it’s not good, more problems than the ubuntu 6month update normally causes…

1. Thunar file manager no DELete option on right click - they changed the default to send to trash “like we’re microsoft users !!”.
    FIXED = go to preferences/behaviour and tick the last box.
  2. font size is smaller and may be a different font, don’t know where to set a universal setting.
  3. ffmpeg wont run as libsndio.so.6.1 replaced with 7.1 version, should work if I recompile ffmpeg.
  4. youtube-dl due to the above wont combine/extract streams as it relies on ffmpeg
  5. and the BIG PROBLEM which I posted on askubuntu:
    updated-to-19-04-and-no-ethernet-now
    Unless I select the prior kernel I have no ethernet hence no internet.

The suggestion here on page
issue-after-upgrade-to-ubuntu-19-04-from-18-04
looks interesting but I’m thinking of trying TIMESHIFT as I backed up prior to upgrade to do this.
Never had update problems with Fedora 27–>28–>29 (virtualbox) just takes about twice as many hours to complete.
As I have the latest Manjaro ISO I’ll boot from it and see if my Realtek nic works in kernel 5.0.

Worst Ubuntu update ever

3 Likes

Did a clean install of Xubuntu Dingo on a formatted hard drive a week before the release. Restored files from the external storage location. Absolutely no problems, and every peripheral works perfectly.

1 Like

For distros like Ubuntu, I would always recommend a clean install with major generation updates. Any time I’ve tried upgrading from one major version to another, there was usually some problems that forced me to do a clean install anyways.

3 Likes

As both @wgberninghausen and @MikeREM have both said a clean install is the best option to do as it avoids most problems. I have never had a problem upgrading in Mint, but usually wait until any problems are highlighted and sorted out before doing so. I know it is tempting to get the latest version as soon as they’re released, but sometimes it is best to wait and see how they are going before jumping right in (note to self please listen to own advice).

2 Likes

I’m baaaak … to 18.10 :grinning:
First time ever using timeshift to recover and very pleased.
Totally agree with all of the above, I should have waited for 19.04.1 as a lot of the ppa’s take for ever to get updated if at all.
Trying liveUSB’s with kernel 5.0 work as expected and shows it’s not a general issue but suspect it’s incompatibility with the realtek phy kernel driver and NetworkManager.
Also …

1. Virtualbox fails to launch any vm, assume because it detects no nic

2. python programs relying on python2 version of pycurl fail as the install deleted it.

Problems 3,4,6 & 7 are my fault for not selecting to keep ‘no longer supported files’

I think I’ve had enough of ubuntu and it’s now time to switch to either Fedora Xfce or Manjaro Xfce.
Thanks for the replies.

3 Likes

i’ve been pretty impressed every time i have had to use it as well. relatively quick and painless.

1 Like

That would be my recommendation. Manjaro has been the smoothest, snappiest and least problematic distro I’ve ever used. And I’ve tried a lot of them.

Regardless, give both a try in VB and see which one you like best. :wink:

2 Likes

If this is now solved would you kindly mark it as being solved, with solution please. This helps our community if anyone else has a similar problem. Thank you.

1 Like