Why XFCE is superior to other DE's [ My Opinion ]

Okie thank you soo much!

BTW,
I use Manjaro XFCE but some people say that use Linux Mint XFCE it’s better than Manjaro XFCE.
What do you think guys?

When I used Manjaro XFCE for Linux Gaming, it was perfect. Everything worked out of the bag, using Proton to play my Windows only games, no gripes whatsoever. It used to be with Manjaro that after a while updates would break the system. I would not game for weeks that led to months at a time, had loads of updates to install 2GB of updates one day, yet they installed and never griped my system.

I moved to Linux Mint Ulyssa for gaming on, just fancied a change. Installed on a 2TB SSD, as unfortunately Proton Steam gaming cannot install games on separate hard drive, has to be the same drive, hence the 2TB SSD. So what are the differences between Mint and Manjaro XFCE? Mint is Ubuntu based, software wise a little behind on versions, but that is due to stability say the writers of Mint. Though easy enough to upgrade most of the software and XFCE to 4.16 without any gripes. I hope Mint will make a Debian version of XFCE like they have with their Cinnamon Environment.

Manjaro XFCE is Arch based as you know, some would say a hybrid of Arch and yes it is slightly different to an actual Arch system. Adding update mirrors for instance is a totally different routine, than in normal Arch. If you’re wanting to tinker at command line level with Manjaro, it is wise to read up on Manjaro’s Website first. Ubuntu based systems are easier to manage and Linux Mint is a good all round OS, they make their own apps, they have just taken on full development of TimeShift Backup tool. Linux Mint’s owner Clem and his team always deliver a top notch system, because unlike Ubuntu itself they take their time and release Beta’s to the table. With Manjaro they release their next version out of the box, simply because I think that it is the same version as before, with updated stuff on top. (Do Not Quote Me On That, As I Could Be Wrong??) Where as Linux Mint go back to the drawing board.

So which of these are better? Yes I could say depends on your use case? What do you gain from using an Arch based system over an Ubuntu based system?? Bleeding edge software, the latest Kernels. So in affect with Arch you’re trialling the latest stuff, beta-ring. (No such word but we’ll go with it.) Forever using a Beta OS maybe, as it’s bleeding edge, trialling out new latest stuff, which could break. Manjaro’s Community have made sure and continue to make sure that it does not break, as a lot of Software they trial for themselves, before releasing it into their Pamac.

Nearly there, really we are.
Linux Mint XFCE may not be as lightning fast as Arch, may not have the latest and greatest software, but what they do have is a well trusted record of delivering something different to the table. Three Linux Environments. XFCE, Cinnamon and Mate. Unlike Ubuntu Linux Mint make their Environments in my opinion eye catching, though I hate the colour green and yes I know we associate mint with the colour green, but even Manjaro went green too, as still does Ubuntu Mate. Why the colour green? Could have any other of the billion of colours on the spectrum of colour in the world, but why, why the green? Sorry went off on one then.

Linux Mint do not do Snaps (hurray), they do do Flatpaks (Boo), they do deb files (hurray). You can use AppImages easily too, as you can on any OS. They have Spotify app already for you to install as a deb file, they sort their own Firefox out for you in their updates. They use the latest 5.4 Kernel, you can customize the hell out of mint, as you can very nearly any other OS. I know this probably won’t help at all, but these are some of my opinions as a user of these OSES and as not that detailed, it does depend on what you want to do as a user on Linux? Whether you’re a coder, watch Netflix, shop online, watch YouTube, use Facebook, WhatsApp, Email, listen to Spotify.

We are lucky as Linux users to have an alternative OS and the choice to be free to do what we want, without a proprietary system telling us, that hang on we do not recognize that piece of hardware in your machine, you need to buy another key to use your rented copy of Windows. Okay so it doesn’t say rented, but you get the gist? Hopefully you do? :smile:

2 Likes

Tried it in Void/Xfce.
Works fine. I setup the file .config/redshift.conf, then I just run redshift, and it works.
No need for the gui bit. What I will do is start redshift as daemon so it starts up as a service every time I boot.

Thank you.
Neville

2 Likes

Thanks for a BIG reply! :smile:

I’m glad to hear that! So we can say “your wish came true”!!??
You also proved TypeHrishi’s point about Xfce!
Linux+Xfce can do just about anything we want, all it takes is a little bit of searching, learning, no need for system settings and ticking on checkboxes.
Have a great weekend, take care!
shamu

2 Likes

I fell in love with Xfce too but now I prefer Gnome. Here’s why:

• Xfce doesn’t support pinning applications to taskbar. There are some solutions like docklike-plugin and dockbarx but they are not perfect. Gnome’s Dash to Panel extension is very mature. It has nice animations and it’s very configurable. Adding ArcMenu extension completes my classic workflow.
  • There are many nice Gnome extensions for adding new features or customizing workflow.
  • Gnome is very stable if you use a stable distro like Ubuntu.
  • There are no crashes in Gnome too. When playing with Gnome extensions, you might experience some crashes but Gnome recovers from crashes well. Once you select your extensions and stop playing with them, no crashes what so ever. I also experienced crashes with KDE and Cinnamon in the past.
  • CPU usage is nice in Gnome. Of course, Xfce’s cpu usage is better. In my test, KDE’s cpu usage was awful, made my ping-sensitive gaming a nightmare.
  • Workspace handling is awesome. When you need a new workspace, Gnome automatically creates an empty workspace for you.
  • Gnome has a nice integrated file indexing service. All-in-one search works very well.
  • Gnome project is active and it’s being improved.
  • Animations are very nice. They are not too much or too less. They are as it’s supposed to be.
  • Gnome apps are minimalistic and they make use of the space in the title bar. Very efficient. Gnome apps are integrated well with the desktop environment.
3 Likes

Create-Launcher On the Panel, by right clicking application and choosing open with, or right clicking app in Whiskermenu adding to panel.
I like Docklike-Plugin, made my own script for it, to use my theme colors. Yes Gnome integrates well, but still prefer XFCE. As XFCE is a do it yourself environment.

2 Likes

You can also use Plank or Docky (my favorite dock).

:laughing: :grinning: :heart_eyes:
YES!!! (but it’s not XFCE, but Xfce…sorry…

3 Likes

Unless you’re on bleeding edge like Gnome 4.1 or 4.2 - then it doesn’t work… and you have to hunt around for something that does work *. I found “Floating Dock” works just fine on Gnome 3.x (Ubuntu 20.04 and 41/42 (Fedora 36). I think another one / solution for fixing broken Dash to Dock on Gnome 42 was for Pop’s Cosmic desktop “Dash to Dock for COSMIC” extension - which also worked on Fedora 35 and 36… Anyway - I’m using “Floating Dock” on Ubuntu 20.04.3

Anyway - I’m quite happy with Gnome 3.x on Ubuntu 20, I might, take a risk and upgrade to 22.04 and Gnome 42… I’m hoping my BIOS update might have fixed USB 3 issues I had with Fedora 35 and Ubuntu 22.04 on my desktop system (so far, not see same symptoms on my Thinkpad running Fedora 36)… i.e. my USB 3 ports would just “die” and stop responding, USB 2 ports unaffected - and when I got the symptoms, there was still a charge signal coming via USB 3 ports, just no data…

I really want to run Gnome 42 anyway - probably via Ubuntu 22.04, 'cause my Radeon GPU (RX 6600/6600) works SO much better than on Ubuntu 20.04 (according to Geekbench 5 anyway).

* unless they’ve fixed it recently… (just looked at the page for Dash to Dock on gnome-extensions.org - and seems it’s still broken on Gnome 42)

1 Like

Maybe XFCE wants that, but in all those years, when XFCE was a thing (over 10 years ago) everyone was capitalising all the letters, if I remember correctly. So, maybe everyone was still typing XFCE even when it’s Xfce.

I find it only natural to do that, when you have something that can’t be properly pronounced and looks like an acronym.

3 Likes

“Dash to Panel” and “Dash to Dock” are 2 different extensions. “Dash to Panel” works fine on Ubuntu 20.04.

In Ubuntu 20.04, you can use “Ubuntu Dock”. It’s the same extension as “Dash to Dock” (just Ubuntu branding) and it’s installed by default.

1 Like

Yes but it’s still a Xellent, Friggin’ Cool Environment. :laughing:

4 Likes

Sorry, but I can not see how a BIOS update might fix that.
Please explain

1 Like

A post was split to a new topic: Fix blurry Desktop Icon

I found Linux only 4 years ago so I didn’t know that.

I agree. But I like Xfce because it looks “special”. Most of the other DE’s like KDE, LXDE are CAPITALIZED.

I completely agree that Xfce is better than GNOME. LXDE is even lighter than Xfce and is also very stable and customizable. LXDE is modular and has so few dependencies that makes it a champion when it comes to how many features you can get per MB of disk usage. Installing the metapackage lxde-core takes a few MB of disk space and is ready to run. Even full LXDE installation consumes much less RAM and disk space than 99% of other DEs. Xfce and MATE are good, but for my taste and requirements I don’t see the point to use them since they do not provide any extra usability as compared to LXDE. Of course, every person has their own taste and requirements…

3 Likes

Hi Deby,
I thought I read somewhere LXDE development had been shelved in favour of LXQt ? I know Qt based desktops look different and some people prefer the GTK based appearance but LXQt must be another option.
and
Have you tried Lumina?.. it is even smaller than LXDE. It needs development but it is usable and can be easily configured to look the same as any other DE. If you dont mind a bit of work, you can make a good DE out of Lumina.

Regards
Neville

1 Like

Hi Neville,
Yes, LXDE developers work on LXQt project now, however LXDE is not dead and occasionally gets updated. I don’t like LXQt or Qt in general and prefer GTK+. The Qt based Trinity DE is not bad (older and much lighter KDE), but I still prefer LXDE. I have tried Lumina based on the claims that it is very light, but it feels raw, unfinished and needs a lot of improvement. Some apps did not work at all on Lumina. I am 100% satisfied with LXDE and don’t look for a different DE anymore. If something happens that LXDE would be unavailable, my next favorites are Xfce and MATE.
Regards,
Deby.

2 Likes

Update the microcode in the chipset ? Jeez I dunno, common enough anyway. The vendor (MSI) even listed USB issues as being resolved in these BIOS updates…

I’m no board level engineer - but - it makes sense to me - and anecdotally - true…

1. Ran Fedora 35 - heaps of issues with USB 3.
  2. Ran Ubuntu 22.04 - heaps of issues (the SAME issues - i.e. ALL USB 3 devices stopped working - i.e. still showing a current, but no data).
  3. Ran Ubuntu 20.04 - stopped having USB 3 issues (and didn’t happen prior to Fedora 35).
  4. updated the BIOS from the vendor (MSI) to the latest.
  5. Kept running Ubuntu 20.04 for a few days.
  6. In a pique of pissed-offedness, trashed Ubuntu 20.04 and install 22.04 again - and - NO USB 3 issues…

NEVER had any issues like this running Ubuntu 21,x or Fedora 35 and 36 on other hardware (Thinkpad E495) so I’m pointing my finger at the motherboard chipset and its ilk as the culprit…

3 Likes