Windows 11 Requirements

Yes. What he is saying is to keep your data somewhere other than on your active computer. It can’t be any more clear.

3 Likes

I partially agree. I like to keep my data ready to acces on my computers storage, so my home folder is definitely not empty.
However, whatever I put there, will be synced to my Seafile server, which then will be backed up to another server every day. This is just my method to achieve the multiple backup. I could use a bunch of external drives too. The main point: have the important data stored on multiple physical drives - whichever dies, the data is still kept on another instance.
I tell this everyone all the time. Then when someone brings a dead drive to save from it as much as possible, I ask, “where’s your backup?”.
The answer is always “I don’t have any”.
Only smart people learn from others fault, the stupid learn from their own. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

The answer I used to get was
“I don’t know what you mean.”
Stuff I collect is stuff I accumulate mostly about Linux, tips, tricks, how to dos?
Have many scattered on drives, a lot of repetitive ones too, slightly tweaked for different environments.
I have gotten to that time of my life where my brain gets fried very easily, forgetting even down to
who I am?, where I am?, How I am? It’s called getting old before my time, physically around
two hundred years old, mentally twelve years old.

I have to collect and keep info on Linux, as I just get stuck, keep looking up online and you end up with conflicting answers, because you know yourself what it is you’re after, but because that certain question you’ve asked in your search engine, has never been asked so pacifically before, you get sent to something completely bizarre, like Reddit which to me is about as useful as a chocolate kettle.

Oh I’ve been stupid with Linux, lost my whole music collection and all my Steam Game Backups, because I did not label my drives, after installing Feren OS over the top of the whole drive. Tried test disc, all files came back corrupted. After that fiasco, burning a hole in my wallet for my music collection back to where it is now, plus the waiting around for Grand Theft Auto Five to download, then another two hours to back it up. I really felt like chucking my computer out of the window, like the last time I felt like that, was when the thing I was trying to do on my computer worked the day before, but could not get this certain thing to do it again.

Searched online for answers for hours and hours, to no avail. Rebooted my computer, tried what I was doing the day before again and it worked straight away. I swear PC’s have a mind of their own, like the character David Walliams plays in Little Britain
“Computer Says No.”

1 Like

Yes, do not pack your system out with too many files and this goes for Windows, Mac users too. You will see a decrease in speed. If you have important stuff keep it on another hard drive, or on Dropbox or the cloud. If you’re using Dropbox do not install their app, as that uses your home folder to upload files to when you put file to upload in the Dropbox folder, it is still stored on your computer. You could use a External drive to use Dropbox with, but I prefer to use a web browser to upload files to Dropbox. I have external drives labelled with what’s on them, but also backed up to Dropbox just in case. Also if you’re using a SSD drive, one rule of thumb is never fill them up.

1 Like

Yes, I have enough Gentoo notes to fill a decent size USB stick!!!

Unless I’m trying a distro on a very small drive, I find it’s convenient to use the Dropbox app. Many of these files are pretty useful and I’m sure that they are synchronized and backed up all the time. Fearing the app makes no sense.

1 Like