Yahoo mail addresses on mint using chromium or firefox

I have a very old guy as a client in poor health, the internet is his only escape from his apartment so i try to help him.

He has a linux mint box using 64 bit version 5 lmde with firefox and chromium, web surfing no problems no issues.

But email is becoming a problem.

He uses yahoo mail on line on the yahoo site. Two accounts so two addresses. When i set it up for him about a year back, both chromium and firefox had access to his mail account , been working fine up to about a month ago.

If i go into his mail, address one works on firefox, address two works on chromium. But if i try to add the second address on either browser it just returns to original address will not add.

Ok its no big deal for him, he uses address one on one browser and address two on the other.

As long as he gets mail he is happy.

But i cannot answer why either browser cannot add second address. Or run two addresses.

Hiw he removed the second address originally set up no clues.

Could be older versions of browsers, full inbox (he never throws away) old version of mint.

Yes thunderbird could solve it, perhaps.

For him having two desktop icons one for each mail is no big deal especially as i modified the icons to represent the two mail boxes.

He does not want to combine the addresses as one is personal and the other for business.

Just a silly situation on a 15 year old box which i should replace fir him to bring him up to date.

1 Like

There was a topic a while ago… I cant find it … something to do with authentication changes in mail servers.
I think you will find no new mail service can be added to any mailer without considering the new authentication method… cant remember its name?
Existing services are not affected.

Found it

its called Oauth2.

I think that may be your issue.

I am clueless on Oauth2… have not looked into it on my own setup yet… but I did notice that I was unable to setup the mailer in a new linux… and therefore I was unable to access itsFOSS from that distro, because itsFOSS login requires a mailer.
I can see why older users have difficulties… am nearly there myself.

2 Likes

I am not sure if Oauth2 is the issue, it mostly deals with third party email clients, like Thunderbird. What is the purpose of using two browsers for email, just use one browser and set shortcuts to each email login.

2 Likes

I agree that seems odd. Let’s see if we understand what’s going on for sure.

User is using Firefox and logs into Yahoo Mail with user-id “A”. Works fine.

User is using Chromium and logs into Yahoo Mail with user-id “B”. Works fine.

User tries to use Firefox to login to Yahoo Mail with user-id “B”. Appears to work but reverts to seeing user-id “A”?

User tries to use Chromium and logs into Yahoo Mail with user-id “A”. Appears to work but reverts to seeing user-id “B”?

Maybe some sort of cookie that causes it to still see previous user email?

Does the user logout of Yahoo Mail before logging in as the other user? Seems like they would have to. It almost sounds like even after logging out the user would get their same email back again without logging in again due to the same issue when just refreshing the page.

Confusing…

4 Likes

You are correct in what is happening,but you dont need to log out to pick up a different yahoo mail account, by selecting account 2 it logs out of one to get the other. Then you use yahoo switch account just like gmails mail account switcher

I thought extensions, pop up blockers, but there is nothing in the background

Also to effect both firefox and chromium is odd

Think i am going to install him a new box next week with a new version of lmde plus chrome, Firefox and chromium then set up all three to be correct with the 2 accounts if possible

2 Likes

It was like that to start but some how each browser has lost one email account, lucky its different on each browser so he can still get mail.

1 Like

Good thought. I use very few add-ons, so it isn’t my first thought.

Does it do the same in a private session? A private session usually doesn’t allow add-ons and has a fresh cache and cookies.

2 Likes

Not thought or tried that.

But there is something else strange, each time he switches on the printer, it reinstalls it, so he now has several printers all the same.

Checked and he is on lmde 5 not the new version so everything is out of date, should not make a difference, not going to do the update at his home as he is on copper connection and it will take forever to get the new update

1 Like

Maybe consider using Firefox and multi-account containers as explained here and outlined in this itsfoss article. That might address your problem perhaps?

3 Likes

Thanks for the link had not seen that before.

Will investigate

But ready to swap the computer this week for a easy life for him

2 Likes