Experiences of a 50+ year old first-time Linux user

@nevj
I worked for a maintenance contractor out of Memphis, TN and also for the Bungee Corp
out of St. Louis, MO. The millwrights removed and installed machinery and also did fabrication
jobs, as needed. My expertise was in the fabrication and installation, of the grain spouting, needed
to move grain, with gravity, from one point to another. A lot of climbing, welding and dangling from a harness, does take a toll on the body

1 Like

Congrats on surviving. Many of my coworkers, mostly those who worked with aircraft solvents, didn’t last two years into retirement.

@berninghausen
A lot of my co-workers are gone also, some from covid and some from job related exposure.

1 Like

I own a home (that I am currently not living in) outside of Memphis. Tipton County. I currently live in the Clarksville, TN area. Also, coincidentally, I grew up in the rural Mississippi Delta just a few miles from a Bungee facility in Mayersville. We used to camp on the Bungee property overlooking the Mississippi River during spring break and such. We’d tell stories and stay up and watch the barges go by on the river. During the summer, it was too hot and mosquitoes were too thick to camp there. Bungee never ran us off, though we didn’t make a mess of the place.

I have run a lot of sudo commands, but the command line is not my cup of tea. If I were younger, maybe… I am comfortable in Terminal, but I still have to look up the commands for most things. I prefer to work in a GUI when possible, though sometimes it’s just easier to launch the old typer-command-thingie.

I’ve had the surfboard brew and remember it being pretty good. I tend to favor the English and Irish ales, for whatever reason. Sam Smith’s nut brown is my favorite beer of all time, but a micro brewery in Mississippi called Lazy Magnolia makes a Southern Pecan that’s pretty true to the original (and it’s not over-hopped like so many Godawful American micros are… I absolutely DO NOT understand the latest American IPA craze, but to each his – or her, or their – own).

A terrific example of Americans ruining beer with hops happened when Lagunitas started brewing Newcastle Brown Ale. It went from being a very good fish & chips beer to being – to me and to me only, so be forewarned this is just MY opinion and I mean no offense if you do not share it, just as I am not the least bit offended if you disagree with me – thoroughly undrinkable. I will not drink a Newcastle again unless it’s made under the original formula (meaning I’d probably have to be on another continent).

1 Like

McMenamins, locally, makes a couple of low-hop ales that are pretty true to the originals, especially Ruby Tuesday, an Irish red. Of course, nothing quite compares to a Newcastle Brown from the tap of a Newcastle pub.
You’re dead right about over-hopped IPA’s.
Notice how nobody is mentioning any national brands (except Guiness and Foster)?

1 Like

Australia used to be very “regional”, e.g. in West Australia, the local “wife beater” swill of choice was either Swan Draught, Swan Lager, Emu Export or Emu Bitter… In Melbourne the “wife beater” swill was always Victoria Bitter, and it’s pretty ubiquitous across Australia these days… In Tassie, I think it was Boags, in NSW it would be a Toohey’s brew, and Queensland probably XXXX… And in South Oz probably a Coopers maybe? Hahns?

That all went out the window with globalisation, most of Australia’s brewers are owned by international companies… and “our” West Aussie beers, used to be made here and were labelled “Made in WA for West Australians”, the international owner (Nathan Lyons? Was owned in NZ at one time) moved all WA brewing operations to South Australia, and now Swan and Emu beers are labelled “Made for West Australians”…

Anyway - my favourite cider is hard to get these days, its from NZ, “Old Mout”, but I also like Tasmanian cider “Mercury” (Draught)…

Then hipsters started eschewing ALL local beers in favour of European brews, in some circles they’d be called “poofter beers”. Far as I’m concerned, most beers taste like swill, so I’ll just drink whatever’s cheapest or going for free… There’s a very good reason Aussies call beer “piss” :smiley: …

1 Like

I see. They probably originally worked on grain mills.
I do welding… just farm stuff and no dangling
My body is worn from handling sheep, especially shearing. I never shore sheep for a living , just on our farm . I learnt shearing from an old scientist colleague who put himself thru uni by shearing sheep during the depression. He was quite a remarkable mix of practical skills and scientific research ability. I was lucky to have him as a mentor.

There is this move around at the moment in Australia to increase the age of retirement beyond 65. It might be OK for people whose work is not so physical, but it is hard on those whose bodies are worn out like construction workers and rural workers.

2 Likes

@fishyaker

I helped build the big long grain pod and the conveyor system. Looks like Bunge has sold
out to Consolidated Grain.
We are almost neighbors, with some of the same stomping grounds.

2 Likes

Indeed! The southern end of that property is where we would camp (just south and to the right of the GOOGLE mark in the bottom center of the image). I would take my girlfriend parking there in high school. Bunge was very cool about trespassers if you didn’t screw up their stuff… and I was from a family of law abiding folks, so I was always respectful.

1 Like

@fishyaker
It is a small world at times!!!

1 Like

A post was split to a new topic: Jumping off the Windows Ledge

7 posts were split to a new topic: Comparing Operating Systems with and without systemd

3 Likes

Hello young man. I am a 72 soon to be 73 year who has also transitioned to Linux. I was a lifetime wiindows user, who has settled on Ubuntu/Gnome as his distro of choice. From time to time I also break out the macbook and the windoz pc. I give my linux journey some credit for keeping my grey matter ticking over :grin: What an amazing operating system linux is.

2 Likes

Hi @jethro ,
I am 77 and find the same thing. You need to keep learning, face new challenges, and enjoy it
Cheers
Neville

1 Like

Gday Neville.
RE: resetting via the simtool, yes it has done the trick. Thanks again for your input.
I am still on a quest to set the maximum charg
Screenshot from 2022-07-13 21-13-53
e to 85%, but at lest now I know I can reset the computer if necessary…

file:///home/geoff/Pictures/Screenshots/Screenshot%20from%202022-07-14%2012-28-52.png

@jethro
Good news Geoff.
I do not think it is possible for software to permanently damage hardware, but be cautious
Cheers
Neville