How to upgrade to ubuntu 20.04 from 19.10 already installed (no windows)

have you ever booted from a live usb?

the way to boot from a dvd varies by computer and can often be done a couple of different ways so pointing you to a video that shows you exactly how to do it on your computer is not an easy task. you might be able to find a video by searching “boot make and model from dvd” on youtube where you replace “make” and “model” with the information from your computer. mine for example would be “boot thinkpad w540 from dvd”.

the two different ways i have to boot from a dvd (or usb) would be to move the dvd to the top of the boot order in my bios/uefi settings or there is a slightly easier way that i get presented with when my computer starts up. i get a message that says something like “press f11 to boot from an alternate device”. as long as i press f11 quickly, i am then given the option to choose to boot from hard drive, usb or dvd.

I’m one of a VERY few people who will NOT use Windows on one particular computer.
Bear in mind in your replies that I am wanting to install ubuntu 20.04 onto a laptop that has had Win10 erased off it so it can be exclusively running linux type OSs. (in this case Ubuntu Studio 19.10)
Therefore I am not able to go to 90% of video tutorials or blog tutorials that are Windows-centric.
They are of no use in this instance.

Oh thanks. It’s been knocking on the front door of my brain that I need to go to Grub menu (is that wht you mean by bios/uefi settings?)

I guess I’m staying online in the hope of catching a silver bullet tip such as your one I’ve quoted here.

1 Like

bios/uefi settings are the ones you can look at or make changes to before your computer begins to boot any operating system at all. on many computers this is indicated shortly after pushing the power on button (or rebooting) by a message something along the lines of “press f2 to enter settings”. f2 can be lots of different options. that’s why it is hard to point to a single video or tutorial that tells you how to do so for your specific system. for my system it is the enter key. for some it escape or f1. unfortunately on some computers there is no message that tells you what button to push. hopefully yours has such a message.

those settings are different than grub. they happen before grub has a chance to load and tell your computer where to find grub. you need to figure out how to tell your system to load grub from the dvd instead of the hard drive.

getting an answer to this question would still be helpful:

A live dvd. That’s what I was told it was when I downloaded it. I do not think I have a … I may have a blank usb. But I’m not in a hurry I just don’t see any point in duplicating the download again. Unless someone knows better, the 20.04 Ubuntu download stays the same until a couple of months til we will get 20.04.1 . I think I saw that stated somewhere.

I’ve just had a recess to go to make my meal and need to sit and read over all your good extra guidance above thank you 01101111.

1 Like

i was asking about the usb because the process is similar to what you will need to do for booting into a dvd. i am not suggesting you switch to usb. i was just trying to understand if you had previous experience with the process.

I want to erase my HDD and install ubuntu20.04 via using an ubuntu interface and to do it from a liveDVD ISO file type****strong text
I’ll be doing it from a computer running ubuntu studio 19.10.

1. Burn the ISO to DVD.
  2. Put the DVD into your Laptop.
  3. Boot from the DVD, as @01101111 said. (Just specify the DVD as a boot device, on boot, that’s it.)
  4. Go through the installation, as I explained above.

That is the whole process. There is not much to do.

Since you don’t want to have Windows on that Laptop, you can’t do much wrong and you don’t really have to watch out for anything. Just boot into the DVD and you are pretty much done.

No experience.
So far I’ve only had experience cleaning file system using fsck command. Apart from that
little else. I’ve got an entire library of tutorials on all manner of computer programming but
time’s run out. I basically cannot use this 19.10 system. It’s finished all updates earlier today. There’s no support. I have to upgrade to U-20.04 and have to do it now.

1 Like

it sounds like the next step is figuring out how to get your computer to boot from that dvd then.

Right.
Power off, power on, press f2 and go from there?
Things have worked out well before with that so
that’s it for now.

you need to watch your screen as your computer starts up to see what this key is. f2 was just a variable. your system may use a different key entirely.

You have the same problem as listed by “Upgrade Button not working in Ubuntu 19.10” just a couple days ago. 19.10 no longer supported.
@01101111 posted " looks like 19.10 no longer gets updates: https://itsfoss.com/ubuntu-19-10-end-of-life/ "
Looking at the site, it reads like you can do the upgrade in place w/o making a DVD or USB. If you go to the site read under " How to upgrade to Ubuntu 20.04 from 19.10 (if you have good internet connection)"

Why don’t you want to create a boot-able USB flash drive? It’s easy and the function is built into your system.
Booting from your USB drive will give you a clean “fresh” install which is what you want.

I’ll need to redo it (the 20.04 OS download) as evident by these results (see attached).
The booting off DVD seemed to at 1st be accepted by the computer’s system output (the text on the screen) but the result showed up as a distorted desktop in 2nd pic).

I have to figure out if that was the fault of the ISO file image I had burnt or whether the harddrive or processor is already too compromised now by the surging whining symptoms and is too damaged to accommodate the upgrade.

A full clean fresh install is what’s required. When that is complete that ought to reveal what is going on.

My difficulty is in lack of experience with configuring & commands knowledge.
The online utility app ‘software updater’ for ubuntu does not perform a clean fresh install (where it firstly erases a harddrive of memory and data) it seems. I have to work that out myself - Correct me if I am mistaken about that please.

this looks more like it has to do with the driver for your graphics processor (gpu) than a bad download or dvd write. drivers tell ubuntu how to talk to pieces of hardware like a gpu. some gpu’s work better with linux than others (nvidia, via, amd). when i boot my computer with an nvidia gpu with a live usb, i have to tell it to boot a special way so that mine won’t look similar to your second picture.

there is a handy program called inxi that will help us be able to see some of the specifications of your system (including gpu) and perhaps guide you on how to get past this particular problem. in your 19.10 installation (not the dvd), if you can install it with
sudo apt install inxi
and then run
inxi -Fxz
in a terminal and post that output here, that would probably be helpful.

you are not mistaken. that is how an upgrade from 19.10 to 20.04 would work if you did it through the software center. since you want a clean install, you need to do so with your dvd.

Here is the output from terminal:

user@Owner-Aspire-A315-22:~$ sudo apt install inxi
[sudo] password for user: 
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree       
Reading state information... Done
inxi is already the newest version (3.0.36-1-1).
inxi set to manually installed.
0 to upgrade, 0 to newly install, 0 to remove and 0 not to upgrade.
user@Owner-Aspire-A315-22:~$ inxi -Fxz
System:
  Host: Owner-Aspire-A315-22 Kernel: 5.3.0-62-lowlatency x86_64 bits: 64 
  compiler: gcc v: 9.2.1 Desktop: Xfce 4.14.1 
  Distro: Ubuntu 19.10 (Eoan Ermine) 
Machine:
  Type: Laptop System: Acer product: Aspire A315-22 v: V1.05 
  serial: <filter> 
  Mobo: SR model: Rose_SR v: V1.05 serial: <filter> UEFI: Phoenix v: 1.05 
  date: 07/17/2019 
Battery:
  ID-1: BAT0 charge: 29.8 Wh condition: 29.8/37.0 Wh (81%) 
  model: PANASONIC AP16M5J status: Full 
CPU:
  Topology: Dual Core model: AMD A4-9120e RADEON R3 4 COMPUTE CORES 2C+2G 
  bits: 64 type: MCP arch: Excavator L2 cache: 1024 KiB 
  flags: avx avx2 lm nx pae sse sse2 sse3 sse4_1 sse4_2 sse4a ssse3 svm 
  bogomips: 5988 
  Speed: 1497 MHz min/max: 1100/1500 MHz Core speeds (MHz): 1: 1497 2: 1497 
Graphics:
  Device-1: AMD Stoney [Radeon R2/R3/R4/R5 Graphics] 
  vendor: Acer Incorporated ALI driver: amdgpu v: kernel bus ID: 00:01.0 
  Display: x11 server: X.Org 1.20.5 driver: amdgpu,ati 
  unloaded: fbdev,modesetting,vesa resolution: 1366x768~60Hz 
  OpenGL: renderer: AMD STONEY (DRM 3.33.0 5.3.0-62-lowlatency LLVM 9.0.0) 
  v: 4.5 Mesa 19.2.8 direct render: Yes 
Audio:
  Device-1: AMD vendor: Acer Incorporated ALI driver: snd_hda_intel 
  v: kernel bus ID: 00:01.1 
  Device-2: AMD Family 15h Audio vendor: Acer Incorporated ALI 
  driver: snd_hda_intel v: kernel bus ID: 00:09.2 
  Sound Server: ALSA v: k5.3.0-62-lowlatency 
Network:
  Device-1: Realtek RTL8111/8168/8411 PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet 
  vendor: Acer Incorporated ALI driver: r8169 v: kernel port: 1000 
  bus ID: 01:00.0 
  IF: enp1s0 state: up speed: 100 Mbps duplex: full mac: <filter> 
  Device-2: Qualcomm Atheros QCA9377 802.11ac Wireless Network Adapter 
  vendor: Lite-On driver: ath10k_pci v: kernel port: 1000 bus ID: 02:00.0 
  IF: wlp2s0 state: down mac: <filter> 
Drives:
  Local Storage: total: 931.51 GiB used: 35.02 GiB (3.8%) 
  ID-1: /dev/sda vendor: Toshiba model: MQ04ABF100 size: 931.51 GiB 
  temp: 26 C 
Partition:
  ID-1: / size: 915.40 GiB used: 35.01 GiB (3.8%) fs: ext4 dev: /dev/sda2 
Sensors:
  System Temperatures: cpu: 47.9 C mobo: N/A gpu: amdgpu temp: 47 C 
  Fan Speeds (RPM): N/A 
Info:
  Processes: 192 Uptime: 2h 36m Memory: 7.19 GiB used: 1.04 GiB (14.5%) 
  Init: systemd runlevel: 5 Compilers: gcc: 9.2.1 Shell: bash v: 5.0.3 
  inxi: 3.0.36 
user@Owner-Aspire-A315-22:~$
1 Like

from what i have read after a quick search, radeon is supposed to be fairly well supported by ubuntu 20.04. there were a couple of people who mentioned needing to boot with the nomodeset option to get theirs to work. so my suggestion is you take a look at the page linked below and follow the directions in the section titled:

How to enable nomodeset option when booting from Ubuntu live USB

from this page:

if that works and you are able to boot and begin the installation process, it would probably be helpful to allow ubuntu to install updates and third party software when you do so (provided you have an internet connection). there is usually an option to check a box to add those things to your installation on one of the screens that comes up in the installer. that may help you get a driver that works correctly with your graphics card.

1 Like