How to upgrade to ubuntu 20.04 from 19.10 already installed (no windows)

sudo sed -i ‘s/eoan/focal/g’ /etc/apt/sources.list
sudo apt update
sudo apt upgrade
sudo apt dist-upgrade

Thanks for this.

So this way of going about, as per your posts I’m replying to, is to still boot off the DVD ISO once I’ve enabled nomodeset, and to also be at same time, connected to network for updates?

1 Like

to be clear, you boot the dvd and when you see the purple ubuntu screen that is where you will follow the rest of the instructions. you can’t enable nomodeset for a clean installation from anywhere other than the dvd.

1. boot into dvd
  2. enable nomodeset
    (and hopefully)
  3. start your live ubuntu session

it may be helpful to have those instructions to look at as you boot if that is possible since there are a couple of different ways the live session could boot.

then you can worry about the rest. the network connection will be important (or probably at least helpful) after you have started your live session and begin the installation process.

Yes. Network, in my case, actually can only be activated when I have the desktop GUI showing on the screen, so it is academic, as regards when it can come in handy for allowing ubuntu to install upgrades.

Right now I’ve got the ‘nomodeset’ tag wiki page up for reading its instructions (and having them on a handheld device, a mobile handset to read off) to follow them where applicable. Looking good. Fingers crossed.

the best of luck to you :slight_smile:

1 Like