Internet Connection Setup in Ubuntu 20.04

I now have both Ubuntu 20.04 and Windows 10. I have a wireless connection and I know its name and password. I just do not know how to get it setup in my Ubuntu. Would you kind people please advise me as to how I can make this happen? I thank you in advance!

3 Likes

Hi,

Do you have any particular problem with WiFi? Normally, you should click the top right corner on the screen to see a drop down. You should see the option to connect to WiFi there.

1 Like

I do thank you. Is it the third item from the top?

2 Likes

that looks like the one. if if doesn’t list the name you are looking for, you would click the arrow to the right of the name and that should show you other wifi names that are available.

1 Like

Sorry friend, mine does not have that option. It’s simply not available. Now what do I do? Remember that I have it on windows.

Thanks!

yours does not have what option?

it will be helpful if you can describe what you did and what happened when you did it. since we can’t see your computer, we need you to tell us what is happening :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I have a 1year old Lenovo laptop and with Windows I use a wireless setup for the internet. I also have Ubuntu 20.04 with the mouse working now but there is no wireless connection. The drop down menu that I get when I click on the upper right corner shows sound, files , log-off but no internet connection option. Is there a way to achieve it? I’m lost with this. :weary: My thanks to all for any advice.

hopefully there is a way to get that working for you. it may just take some time of trading messages back and forth like this and asking some questions to see what is going on. are you able to use wired internet? do you have any internet connection right now?

2 Likes

Found this posted here;

Seems to be a common problem, so should be easy to fix.

2 Likes

Hmmm, Says “had” 19.10 which worked so maybe I should just try to find that version and see if it would work for me. I’m not that picky, I just want Linux.

Thanks again!

what about these two?

1 Like

I’m sorry @Zardoz, but I did not mean for you to go to 19.10, for one thing, it’s not supported anymore. I was trying to point to a possible solution to your Wifi problem. The Ubuntu release 18.04 is supported until April 2023 if you decide to go with a older Ubuntu.
My recommendation would be to fix your Wifi problem with 20.04 or at least giving a try.

2 Likes

I am not able to use a “Wired” connection, just wireless and it works fine with Windows. I just tried using version 19.10 and still no wireless connection. It says something about no wireless app(?). again I’m no expert but I am trying. All these posts are done though Windows 10. To all, please don’t give up on me, P_L_E_A_S_E! :woozy_face:

2 Likes

when you say you have ubuntu 20.04

is it installed on your computer along with windows 10 or are you running it from a live usb? like we talked about over here: Mouse Setup Advice - #8 by Zardoz

1 Like

I found this on the internet, Lenovo - no wifi adapter found’
https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/Ubuntu/thinkpad-notebook-p1-gen-2-ubuntu-18-04-support-wireless-no-wifi-adaptor-found/m-p/4529460
It fix this guy problem, maybe it will help you.

3 Likes

Thanks. Your response led me to this link:

https://support.lenovo.com/us/en/solutions/pd031426

Apparently my laptop is not supported either. Now I know better to look for supported hardware…

2 Likes