Please introduce yourself

Hi Tony,

Welcome to the forum, interesting CV, musician to Bear Grylls. I could offer advice depending on what you want, or may have, or not done to your current Dell.

If you start a new topic and run this command (below) in a terminal, we’ll see what we can do for you.

• inxi -Fxz

:sunglasses:

1 Like

Hi Tony. Welcome to our community, hope you enjoy your stay with us. We are a friendly lot and always try to help each other. Quite a CV and we all know who to ask when the diesel runs out

1 Like

thanks for getting back to me Mac, i have tried forums before but never actually got a reply back so this is exciting …how do i know you are not a robot ? 0)

2 Likes

thanks for getting back to me EDS, i have tried forums before but never actually got a reply back so this is exciting …how do i know you are not a robot ? 0)

1 Like

The same way, we have to take it on trust (face value) you are not a robot, spammer or a troll.

:wink:

3 Likes

I think @anon56357095 has answered the question.
If I were a robot then all I can say is that I’d be on the scrap heap now what with me wonky joints, failing heart, failing memory and telling everyone my illness and operations for the last 5 years.
Oh and one final point we do answer, because we are a friendly community it is that simple. Members aren’t just members they’re friends.

3 Likes

ok thanks…may i ask how old you are and what is your illness, i managed to get myself out of a health situation a few yrs ago so i am curious…thanks Tony

1 Like

Hi again…to make biodiesel you will need to gather the raw materials first …used veggie oil is cheapest …but i have run 3 vehicles on it for 8 yrs now with no problems and as you have a technical nature it is easy to understand how to make it …thanks Tony

1 Like

Currently 1861898000 seconds old

2 Likes

==========
It might be appropriate to advise to first install inxi ,since it normally is NOT included in a Linux distro by default.

cmd line :sudo apt install inxi

It being a versatile app to detect hardware components , running
cmd line : man inxi will be very helpful.

Frank in County Wicklow -Ireland

1 Like

Hi Frank,

Fair comment, usually it is a default tool in Ubuntu. I have to install as after thought in Debian, CentOS, Fedora of the top on head.

1 Like
  • sparky
  • usa
  • linux consultant
  • I have been using some version of unix, xenix … since 1982
  • Current Versions: Redhat - commercial, ubuntu - desktops and servers
  • How long have you been following It’s FOSS? since inception
  • What do you expect from It’s FOSS Community? sharing and building How To
2 Likes

@ mack… Happy Birthday! :gift: :sparkler:

I on the other hand, had a B’day last month,
and am 137,780,452,000 seconds old, looking to make it to…
139,642,350,000 seconds old!

At my age, naps aren’t optional.
They’re mandatory practice for the future…
But… Don’t Worry… I still need a lot of practice…!

2 Likes

Hi and welcome to our friendly community.

1 Like

Welcome Sparky, to the forum, wow a bona fide expert.

1 Like

hello @Jimany and welcome to the community :slight_smile: if you can start a separate thread for your question about upgrading from ubuntu 16 to 18, i am sure we will have some folks drop in to see if they can offer assistance.

no need to sorry at all. i can walk you through that :slight_smile:

at the top right of the page there is a box that has a plus sign + and says New Topic. once you click that, it will bring up a box where you can type a title for your question or issue. something like “help upgrading ubuntu 16 to 18” should be good enough to get you started. of course feel free to name it as you wish. the box below the title is for a category. we have one for ubuntu which will help others find it. then you just fill in the details in the text box like you did when you wrote these posts. please feel free to let me know if you run into any problems.

Hi Jimmy
Hope you enjoy your stay with us here as part of our friendly community. I see you already have some questions and my friend @01101111 has told you how to ask them. Remember you can ask as many questions as you want here. You may also be able to help others .

2 Likes

Hello Jimmy, Hope you will enjoy the Group :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Hello @Jimany, Welcome to the board!
I see you have been well taken are of already!
So Join in !!

Charlie

1 Like