Please introduce yourself

I am Jude Ejepu. I live in Nigeria. I am an academic researcher. I wish to start using Linux. I want to learn from this community as much as I can.

5 Likes

I’m Paul Weaver from Bluffton, Indiana, USA. I am the senior pastor of a church.

I’ve been using Linux off and on since 2009. Currently using Windows 7 (absolutley can’t stand Windows 10 and am stuck with some form of Windows due to some software issues. I also currently use Linux Mint 18.3 Cinnamon on my laptop and will soon have it set up on this machine with a dual partition.

I hope to learn about more resources and obtain more useable information as I become more and more involved in using Linux as my main operating system.

5 Likes

Hi there!

My name is Helmar Fernandes
Living in Brazil
HR Professional unemployed ;-(
Linux user for 10 years
I hope to learn Linux tips and improve my skills in Linux in a user level

5 Likes

John
Michigan, USA
Retired Mainframe Escapee (360’s 370’s Univac)
off and on for about a year
Ubuntu Linux
I keep being amazed at all of the distributions.
I am not to good on the command line no GUI is difficult

4 Likes
  • Roland Mösl
  • Near Salzburg in Austria
  • Founder of PEGE.org.
  • Since May 2016. I wanted to change to Linux many years before, but I did 1999 a severe mistake. I programmed my own CMS and my mind 2 database in Perl using HTA - Hyper Text Application as the GUI. When I realized, this is only possible with MSIE in Windows, it was to late. Summer 2016 was all the Windows 10 update terror and I had enough time to change my own software to client / server.
  • Ubuntu 16.04. I changed until May 2017 also all the rest of my family, wife and 2 daughters. All on Acer ES1-331 series notebooks without OS.
4 Likes

Hi everyone!

My name is Ed and I live near Amsterdam, Netherlands. I am retired now and worked as a technician in machine building, maintenance and electronics and for 30 years as a teacher and counsellor. I have worked with computers from the 1980’s (Sinclair ZX80, Acorn Atom, Wang 2200, IBM PCs, Windows desk- and laptops and 1 year ago I bought an old MacBook Pro). Some 15 years ago I started to use Linux but thought it not user friendly then, so I stopped using it. Five years or so ago I came across Xubuntu and used it ever since, the latest distro is 18.04. From time to time I still use my desktop with Windows 7 because I have got some progs that won’t work with Xubuntu. I do not use the Apple much, only when on holidays. I think it is too much money for too little extra value. What surprised me was the fact that it is possible to use Linux commands in Apple OS. Do they use Linux free for their OS?
Thanks for your invitation Abhishek! Hope to learn more of Linux in this community!

4 Likes

Hi, I’m Rick Batchelor and I live in the USA. I’m a retired, disabled computer and network technician. I’ve been using Ubuntu Linux since 2005. I subscribe to I’t’s FOSS and found it helpful along my journey. I view the FOSS Community as a place to both learn from and help others in our common Linux journey.

4 Likes

Francis de Broux, from Belgium, retired, had a job in IT development (Travel agency company worldwide) for a long time using different tools and environment (from IBM mainframes, unix platforms, Windows, Linux…)
My first interest for Linux was in +/- 1998 when Email begins to invade our company and creating an internal FTP server based on Linux (RedHat if I well remember).
At present I use a dual PC platform (Windows 10 and Linux Mint), I also experimented Ubuntu. I have a “support/development” job with a french company in Business Travel consultancy, maintaining their “Oracle Database” on a dedicated server.
Expectations from FOSS community: as now infos about Linux distributions, tools, environment related. From beginning of our contacts/news, I have sympathy for your work…

3 Likes

Howdy all, I am Randy. I hail from Texas. I have been using GNU/Linux for about 8 years now, along with Windows and various other OSes. It’s FOSS has always had great new and info and i’m glad for the invite into this great community!

2 Likes

Hello to all, I am several different people (like to play Hyde & Seek), Never give my real name.
From what I have seen in the last few months, abhishek is doing a great job, that’s why I signed up.
I live in USA.
Nice to meet you all.

2 Likes

Hello guys,
My name is stefano
I live in Italy
In the heart of Italy, Umbria
I am a designer of industrial Tunnel kiln.
I’m a Linux user since 1994
specifically Linux Mint, Debian and Opensuse.
I follow about a year FOSS.
From this community I expect clarification on issues that I can meet

1 Like

Hi
My name is Lars Antonsson from Sweden, I am aiming to be a senior citizen,
currently work as production manager.
I have used Linux since (I think) the late 90’s.
For the moment I use Peppermint, but tried most of the distros.
I have been following FOSS a couple of years, but I have no idea of
what to expect, thats the interesting thing.
Take care.
/Lasse

2 Likes

Hello, My Name is Bradin McClelland and i am a 17 year old computer nerd who has been running linux ever since i got my first laptop. i started with Ubuntu kylin then i switched to ubuntu 16.04 now im on 18.04. I am running my own servers all running ubuntu server right now. i Love the open source community and right now i am at north america open source summit and loving it. i am excited to meet and talk with everyone here
Signed
Bradin McClelland

5 Likes

Hello, I am Paul from Ireland, I started using Linux Mint when my XP laptop slowed to a crawl that was 4 years ago I got another 2 years out of the laptop. I have a new laptop now soon as I got it I got rid of Windows 10 :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Frank , resident of County Wicklow -Republic of Ireland, Retired Instrument Engineer.
Linux user since 2004 ; Linux only user since 2005.
Using Ubuntu but also Lubuntu and Linux Mint.
Have followed It’s FOSS since early 2017.

Expectation : provide Linux know-how to others ,but also hope to receive advice related to “Linux problems” which I might encounter.

2 Likes

Hi All! My name is Kevin. I’m from India, but I live in the US. I’m an undergraduate student of Electrical Engineering. I use Linux Mint 19. I’ve been using Linux since 2016 – when I saw my new Windows 10 laptop advertise Candy Crush to me. I’ve never been able to take windows seriously since.

2 Likes

My name is Mia and I’m from South Dakota in the United States. I installed Linux for the first time, in 2013 when I met a young man named Brian at a small computer repair shop. He had studied to be a white hat hacker and highly recommended it. He left the business soon after that, but I’ve been learning about and using Linux ever since. I have my own small business providing instruction and just installed my 13th Linux Mint distro for clients with not one of them requesting to go back to windows! I need to learn as much as I can to keep my clients up and running as well as my own interest. I love Linux and have tried a half dozen distros on my many used laptops and desktops. Windows is bad for so many reasons.

4 Likes

Hi! My name is Paul Smith and I.m from Canada and now I.m retired and am working as a part-time school crossing guard which is very enjoyable. I have been Linux user over 10 years first beginning with Ubuntu but now , very much a Mint user. The knowledge I gain from Its Foss I love. I think I have been using since 2013. please keep up the good work!

1 Like
  • John McCormack

• Ireland

• Photography, some Video and Front-end Web

• Linux user since 2004 (not always as a main driver - I also use Windows and Mac)

• Main distro is currently KDE Neon

• Following It's FOSS it seems like since the beginning :)

• Hopefully a bit of friendly sharing of knowledge without any "my-distro-is-better-than-yours" or "you-should-know how to do that already!"
2 Likes

Hello everyone I’m Mike. I live in Michigan and have been using Ubuntu since Jaunty Jackalope 9.04, I’m sure that will take a few back aways. I too used WindBlows and just got tired of all the hoops you needed to jump through and discovered Ubuntu. I am currently running 18.04 Bionic Beaver and love it. I have tried several flavors of Linux, way to many to list here but I always come back. And since I have discovered FOSS I couldn’t be happier. The fact that Linux is opensource makes it very easy to find answers.

1 Like