Please introduce yourself

• I’m John, I live in San Francisco, USA, and I’m retired. I never worked in tech. When I started working, and for the next 25 years or so, there was no such thing as a personal computer, the internet, mobile phones, digital cameras, digital recorders, GPS, email, SMS, etc. So all this is still pretty amazing to me. I can see clearly all the good that has come along with tech, but I can also see many problems that it has brought.
  • I’m using Linux primarily as a computer hobbyist. I’m the “System Admin” for a group of older people. They are all on Windows, which keeps me there, too. If it was just me, I’d be on Linux full time.
  • I have two Linux machines, one on Ubuntu and one on Mint/Cinnamon.
  • I’ve only been using It’sFOSS for a few months. I’m pleased with it’s straightforward approach to Linux and Linux news.
  • What I’d really like to see is for Linux to make Windows obsolete.
  • Final point - I hate all Apple products.
2 Likes

My name is Trinh and I live in Vietnam.
I’m in college and I’m learning about software programming.
I started using linux from last year.
Currently I am using Antergos for my laptop.
Hope this community is where we can exchange and learn more interesting things.

1 Like

My name is Al, I reside in Florida, USA. I am retired, and love learning new things. I’ve been a Windows survivor since 2008. My first distro was Ubuntu 8.10. I switched over to Kubuntu after Ubuntu switched to Unity in ver. 11.04. At the moment I am running Mint Cinnamon. I have tested many others in between.
I have been following Foss for a long time. I can’t recall exactly when I first started.

1 Like

My name is Harrie Baken. I’m living in Tilburg (a town in the southern part of the region ‘The Netherlands’).
I’m a freelance text editor / proofreader (Dutch only). In 2004 I made the definitive switch to Linux (SUSE, openSUSE). I love it.
In 2015 - maybe earlier - I started following It’s FOSS (but I don’t have the time to read as much I would like). I hope the It’s FOSS Community will be a kind & useful place!
Harrie

2 Likes

Hi, my name is Lupe. I live in the U.S. in the “Land of Enchantment!” I am a retired engineer who spent over 30 years in the area of computational mechanics. I’ve been using Linux since RH5.0, but have installed and used various distros. I currently use Ubuntu to continue dabbling in mechanics. I also use and support Windows/Macs for my family’s network. As far as what I expect from It’s FOSS Community: I would like to contribute where I know and ask where I don’t!

2 Likes

Greetings!

Giorgos from Patras, Greece.

2 Likes

My name is Roy Davies and I live in the West Midlands, United Kingdom.
I am a retired Manufacturing Engineer, working in the UK automotive industry for forty years.
I have been using Linux since the demise of Windows XP in 2014.
I am currently using Linux Mint 19 ‘Tara’ with xfce desktop (on a Dell Studio 1558), Korora 28 (on an Acer Aspire 5735), Q4OS 2.5 Scorpion (on a Dell D610), and Xubuntu 18.04 LTS (on a Lenovo 110S).
For an absolute beginner, I would recommend Xubuntu. It’s rock solid reliable, good Out of the Box packages, and easy to maintain. I’ve installed Linux, mainly Xubuntu, to quite a few laptops for Windows migrants among friends and family.
I have been following It’s FOSS since it was a simple weekly newsletter. I submitted the first ‘My story’ article a couple of years or so ago. Sadly, both the old Acer laptop and my dear cat Tilly, featured in the article, are no longer with us.
It would be good if the It’s FOSS Community was able to continue the excellent work started by Abhishek in promoting all things Linux, alongside invaluable tutorials and opinion.

4 Likes

I’m Danny from Boulder Colorado, I was in commercial computing from 1981 till I retired, doing distribution work for a major 3D developer & relational databases any systems administration on Windows, Solaris, Aix, and all major UNIX favors including early linux distributions. Having just gotten interested again in home computing I am using Mint & Umbuntu because of Apple and Microsofts predatory costs. Feeling alone because everyone does widows and linux magazines are expensive, I thought I would make some Linux friends.

2 Likes
  • Name - Mark
  • Country of residence - United States
  • What do you do? - Chemical Engineering PhD Candidate at Brigham Young University
  • Linux users since? - 2013
  • Main distribution you are using - Xubuntu, Mint, Ubuntu subsystem on Windows 10
  • How long have you been following It’s FOSS? 2015 ish, Don’t really remember.
  • What do you expect from It’s FOSS Community? To learn more about emerging open source technology and projects.
2 Likes

I am a retired System Software Developer. Started my Unix/Linux love affair. After slaving with Cobol, Fortran, Pascal for ten years. I am working again but not in the business. Enjoy tinkering for fun instead of profit.

2 Likes

My name is Neb. I live in Victoria, BC, Canada. I do CAD drafting for interior designers and millwork professionals. I also play with computers and Linux. I use Linux since 2006. I started with Linux Mint from the beginning and it is still my main Distro. I did, however, try many distributions. I like Solus Budgie. I think I first came across FOSS in 2014… I hope that I can learn more here and also, maybe, help in any way I can.

2 Likes

Hi everyone,
My name is Lee Larsen and I live in Texas, USA. I’ve been retired from HVAC since 2006 (I’m 71 now) and have been a Linux user since the 90’s. I’ve watched Linux grow from compiling one’s own kernel to what it is today. Currently, I’m using Linux 19 with the Cinnamon desktop. Though I’ve been using Linux for a long time I’ve never delved into the nuts n’ bolts of it so I consider myself a beginner, using the Terminal only on occasion. I’ve been following “It’s Foss” for about 9 months now and found the newsletter to be very informative. It’s been exciting to watch Linux mature over the years to the point I rarely ever use “Windows” anymore except for updating Garmin GPS units and “Lightroom” for image editing.

4 Likes

Hello,
My name is Aritra
I live in Kolkata India.
I am using using Ubuntu since 2016 when my old computer refused to work with Windows OS. And after that I am a great fan Linux and it’s environment.
Ubuntu 18.04 is now my primary OS. and following ITSFOSS from 2016.
Itsfoss is doing great job.

Thanks.

2 Likes

Hello, All Linux Lovers!

It is so much fun to read all these ‘Linux bios’.

My name is Sasha. I live in Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada.

I am currently a semi-retired professional yoga teacher. Used to own and operate Canada’s first Hot Yoga studio in Toronto for 25 straight years, since 1993. I also have training in bookkeeping and accounting, but graduated with a Computer Science and Applied Math Degree from UofT Toronto.

I used strictly Apple II computers prior to 2000. Thereafter, been using FreeBSD to help run my business, specifically coding and running shell and awk scripts. In about 2006 or so, I began looking into Linux, since BSDs were (and still are) not suitable for desktop use. Skype and Netflix, dare I say more?
I am still very fond of BSD and keeping my eye out for them.

I have never used Windows and never liked them. Current Apple is becoming Windows-like, I am afraid.

Someone gave me an Ubuntu disk and I tried running it. I also tried out Mandriva and Libranet for short time. Looking for a stable candidate to use as my daily workstation, I have adapted Linus Lite 3.x series and stayed with it till now.
We moved from Toronto to Winnipeg, and I got an Intel NUX box with UEFI boot. Unfortunately, Linux Lite does not install on a strictly UEFI machine, so I am currently running Solus 3.9999. So far very happy with it.

I’ve been following FOSS for a couple of years. Always greatly enjoying the posts. Thank you @Abhishek !

I signed up to be a member of a prominent Linux community, to learn and perhaps make some connections.

Chat some later! :slight_smile:

5 Likes

Hi there !
My name is Akash Thakrar
I am from India. I am pursuing my M. Tech.
I am Linux user from 2013 and I use Linux mint primarily ( I jump between different OS :wink: )
ITSFOSS is great, but I expect to itsfoss to concentrate on some hardware topics more.
Thanks

2 Likes

I am Gernot Premper, residing in Uruguay and El Salvador, I work for a webdesign firm, I use Linux sine 15 years, I do not have a main distribution … I am a so called Distrohopper … every once in a while I change … at the moment I use Zorin … but have used Antergos, Mint, Deepin, Achrlinux and others, I am following It’s FOSS about three years, … I expect to find other people who do not give up on freedom yet :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I am Heinrich (Heinz for short) and live in Salzburg, Austria.
I am now retired, used to work as a systems engineer at IBM during most of my active years, mainly in the operating systems, database, networking and application development areas (e.g. in Obj. Oriented Programming), supporting and advising “big” customers.
For the past 15 years I have been using Linux on my 2 private PCs (Lenovo-Server and LAN-connected Sony laptop client). My distributions are Debian (Stretch) on the server (Mysql, Apache, PHP, Drupal,…) and Linux Mint 19 (with KDE Plasma 5.12 on top). For an Office System I have been using LibreOffice (formerly also StarOffice/OpenOffice), also got various browsers installed, but love the Opera-follow-on “Vivaldi” (hoping they fulfill their promise regarding an integrated e-mail client, similar to Opera’s M2 !).
I love music - from classical, through folkmusic, all the way to jazz), was president of a traditional wind band for quite a while, and in this function took care of the club’s admininistrative system.
que viva FOSS!

1 Like

Hello,
My Name is Dave (AKA kc1di)
Living in Maine USA
I’m Retired Minister and Computer consultant.
Been using Linux since 1995 Unix some before that.
Have used many Distros over the years. But currently using Mint 19 XFCE But distro hope often.
Been following it’s foss for a couple years at least.
Just Join the community to seek others interested in FOSS and gain from your knowledge and tips.

1 Like

Hi all
I am Jan Vlčinský from Czechie and I deal with traffic information exchange, mainly in my country and across Europe.

Using Linux on our servers since about 2004, and on my desktop since around 2012.

Most often I used to work on Ubuntu, after few experiments with Debian I ended on Debian Stretch and plan to stay here.

I follow FOSS since mid of 2017.

My expectations from “It’s FOSS Community” are that it will not cost me too much time and sometime I will learn few news or old tricks.

I am currently using Thunderbird (with Muttator) to manage my e-mail accounts, which are mostly hosted at Google. I would like to find an e-mail client, allowing me to use emails safely and securely.

1 Like

My name is Joop van Mechelen. I’m using Ubuntu since 2006. On 3 laptops: 2 times Ubuntu, 1 time Linux Mint. My profession was chemistry teacher, i am nowadays retired.

1 Like