What is your present Browser for Linux?

Hi @Rosika UK banks are required to provide a multilayered security system - in brief; my bank sends a code by text after answering security questions and passwords but there is some evidence that these texts are being intercepted by criminals.
My wife’s bank has adopted the tiny security key device which I think is best in class such that I am actively moving bank to obtain this higher level of security

Take care to Stay Safe :mask:

ps Bank staff ask me how I know so much about online security…?
Strangely one of them instantly recognised the Trisquel symbol on our laptop and said - Linux, no problem Sir…! :astonished:

1 Like

@Andy2 I remember, these devices were introduced around 2008, just before I left the UK. I still have one lying around, just in case I want to access the £20 or so, I still have on my HSBC account. Here in Switzerland, they came a bit later, but now we mainly use an access app on our mobiles, which supposedly is as secure as the security tokens.

1 Like

@Andy2 and @Mina:

I see. Security at your banks looks very sophisticated indeed. :wink:
As far as the definition of security tokens (according to wikipedia) is concerned:

I see that the emphasis lies on “access their bank account online”.

Well, the mere access of the account is done here by user-name (a numeric code) and password.
Yet in order to make transactions of any kind (like money transfer) an additional attribute has to be used.
That´s a one-time TAN, which in order to procure I use a so-called chipTAN generator.
Using it is pretty safe as the TAN doesn´t have to sent by SMS or something like that.

Many greetings.
Rosika :slightly_smiling_face:

3 Likes

I use Firefox and startpage

2 Likes

Been using Brave for about 2 years, works brilliantly for my needs. Not overly concerned with security and dear old Linux has meant I haven’t had any trouble with viruses since I moved exclusively to Linux in the late 90’s.

3 Likes

Ive been testing Dissenter which is based on Brave and Ive really like it so far. It has crashed on me a few times - usually when facebook goes crazy and eats up memory.

The other I was testing was Vivaldi but ran into quite a few troubles when installing extensions. It is very fast though.

1 Like

I will always use Firefox as in the new update cookies can no longer track your IP address or track you, they get locked down. All the other browsers are based upon Chrome and as I already sell myself and my barcode number on my forehead to Google on my Android phone, I’d rather be private and use Duck Duck Go search engine through Firefox and completely switch off Google altogether, here in Linux. Yes the other browsers might open quicker, but you’re still selling yourself to Google as no matter what search engine you use in any other browser Google will still collect data from you.

I have Firefox for my phone and Duck Duck Go browser app, but because Android is now Google or Google is now Android, anything I use on that phone still reports back to Google. Weird to think that it all started with Microsoft Windows 10 with them legally telling you that they collect data from you, the loop hole is, that no one reads the EULA and Microsoft knows that everyone just ticks the I Agree box and carries on. Then weeks later Google start on the bandwagon, though they probably had been doing it for years and needed to legally tell everyone what they do with your data?

Then the Antivirus company Avast, who started out really small a one man band in his bedroom offering free antivirus to run on your Windows XP device and back then the design was blue in colour, now they are an orange splodge sitting in your Windows taskbar, they have now gotten on the bandwagon of collecting data from you and tracking you. God knows how many others are out there doing the same?

For me I have had enough of proprietary systems selling me off like a slave, but there is no getting away from it. If you like YouTube that’s partnered or owned by Google. Don’t get me wrong I have nothing to hide, it’s just that all this telemetry slows down your experience on the web. Even though I use Duck Duck Go and I visit a site, for all I know that’s Google ran, with hidden telemetry collecting your IP address, your actual location, selling you off as an advert for them to make money out of you, or am I being paranoid?

3 Likes

I use firefox. I am pretty much a beginner, so I use what is put before me.
I use ubuntu 20.04 and soon hope to move up to 21.04 when the going is safe.

I use the latest Opera Browser

I use on all machines Google Chrome 64BIT.

Keeping with the OP.
Netscape, Netscape Navigator, Netscape Communicator, Safari, Mosaic, Internet Explorer, AOL Explorer, Konqueror, Chrome, Opera, Vivaldi, MS Edge, SeaMonkey, Brave, Puffin, UC Browser. My Own concoction.
Settled on Firefox and Vivaldi for many years now.

Firefox, Brave, Vivaldi.

For Vivaldi, I disabled all Google services. Go to settings > privacy > Uncheck all under Google services and Google extensions. Like Crypto Token, phishing and malware protection, DNS.
For Firefox, I modified the about:config section.

CRX extractor downloader - To download extensions from the Chrome web store and then install them manually in developer mode. It takes time at first to download all the CRX files, but once you have all the CRX files in one folder, you can easily install the extensions with drag and drop. No hassle to search in the Chrome Web Store each time. Details here.

Trace extension - To protect and spoof my browser fingerprint. This one is very powerful in terms of fingerprinting protection. Details about browser fingerprint here

Trocker - To block tracking of clicks from an email.

Privacy manager extension - To control privacy settings. Then, easily view and delete unwanted cookies.

Ublock Origin - To block ads and trackers.

I use it sometimes, not to surf the darknet, but just in case I need to change my IP. I exclude the 14-eye countries from the nodes by adding this code at the end of the torrc file.
/tor-browser_en-US/Browser/TorBrowser/Data/Tor/torrc
ExcludeNodes {au},{ca},{nz},{uk},{us},{dk},{fr},{nl},{no},{de},{be},{it},{se},{es},{il}

More details here: How to use Tor Browser Country codes on Windows, mac and Linux

I was a fan of Opera years ago, but not anymore. As I read the Opera privacy policy here, they are sending data to Google. There is no way to disable it, so I stop using it.

2 Likes

My current browser with linux is Firefox although I have also used Opera.

1 Like

Primary, Firefox and DuckDuckGo,
Secondary Vivaldi and DuckDuckGo

Opera for the most part with a few times of Firefox and always DuckDuckGo

Vivaldi most of the time Opera other times.

For browsing I use Librewolf and for multimedia and gaming I use Chromium in Vaapi mode.

1 Like

That seems like a nice Firefox-based browser. Thanks for showing!

1 Like

I know its a while since this topic was active, but I have tried hard to use Falkon. It can work well and I hope it keeps going, but it sometimes behaves badly. A website I have looked at for years suddenly gave “403 forbidden” and it is not recognised by some banks and official sites. For now I am with vivaldi, but will try falkon from time to time

What does syncing browser across computers achieve?
How do do you sync it … I suppupose there is a menu option ?
Just use whaterver installls usually firefox