What music do you listen to?

No arguments from me… love it… specially the Phil Lynott and Julie Covington bits…and Justin Hayward’s flawless delivery for “Forever Autumn”…

I am not that good at recognizing artists. I just listen to vintage or classic music because I find it soothing.

I’m with @daniel.m.tripp in that I can’t stand most of the “music” played on the radio these days. There are a few minor exceptions, but it’s all mostly canned, manufactured, auto-tuned blah. And no-offense to anyone who likes modern pop and so called “rock” that’s out there today, it’s just not my thing.

Anyways, I tend to gravitate to artists and bands that have genuine talent and uniqueness. Bands that often sound better live than they do on their studio recordings. Here’s a few that I absolutely love:

The Tea Party. I’ve seen them live several times, and they never disappoint. Incredibly talented musicians.

Greta Van Fleet. These guys are just awesome. Some call them the modern-day Zeppelin, I just love their classic rock sound and love that there’s still “new” bands coming out that are sticking closer to the roots of rock.

Larkin Poe. These gals are phenomenal. I’ve been getting more into the blues-rock as of late and they showed up in my YT feed a while back. Been hooked ever since. They just slay it. If you like blues, you’ll probably love Larkin Poe.

Big Wreck. I’ll say nothing, just listen. :wink:

1 Like

Love The Tea Party… only seen them live once, and I was so stoned I don’t remember much of it (2002) - just bits of the song “Heaven Coming Down”… love Babylon - and that song about Bowie “Empty Glass” - I think that last one is my favourite of theirs…

For a number of years, Jeff Martin actually lived here in Perth, West Australia, as his missus was from here - I think he’s since moved back to Canuckland :smiley: (or as a former Oz P.M. called it “Canadia”)… He recently did an Australian tour “solo / acoustic”, I tried to talk a mate into going, but he was skint at the time, I should have gone on my own anyway… oh well…

1 Like

Yeah Jeff and the band have a big following down-under. We have a DVD of one of his solo/acoustic concerts there. I should dig that out and rip it to my music collection… :wink:

2 Likes

At 71, I’ve heard it all. And I still listen to most of it, as long as it’s pre-1980. And nothing by human stains like Ted Nugent.

1 Like

My music tastes are very similar to Dan Tripp. Been to Freemantle. Lovely place. I’d like to add Jeff Rosenstock to the list…

And also True Widow

And lastly Windhand

2 Likes

I’ve got tickets to see Jeff play an acoustic set, at a “smallish” pub here in Perth in March, with a good mate - looking forward to it - was supposed to be in September - but I followed #keepyourtickets so the artists had money coming in during #ISO… Turns out he didn’t move back to Canuckland - just Byron Bay on the East Coast of Oz…

Anyway - what I’m into right now - and cannot get enough of are The Sleaford Mods (just bought their two most recent albums - going to buy their back catalogue next payday) - hard to believe how simplistic their approach is to music - but it’s damn catchy - and kicking myself for not catching them live (at the same pub I’m due to see Jeff Martin play in March) just a week or so before the planet locked down… It’s like The Jam and PiL with Wu Tang clan and Aphex Twin, but still better!

The “instrument” guy (Andrew Fearn) - runs a Thinkpad X61 with Windows XP (that’s his “instrument”) - bobs about like a 40+ yo stoner - that’s SO COOL! :

post/punk electro/hiphop
And it’s so REFRESHING to hear non-f_cking London area accents… love the dialects of the UK (and fuck received pronunciation and “the queen’s english” - that almost sounds like “thieve’s cant” for talking “gay”)! And the laid back rage of working class Britain (i.e. most of the North) - but the media only shows all the success stories coming from graduates of Eton and suchlike, and inbred welfare bludgers popping out new future parasites (princes and princesses etc)…

I worked my dreams off for two bits of ravioli and a warm bottle of Smirnoff

(song : Fizzy)

Also still got my deferred tickets to see the gorgeous Chelsea Wolfe in June 2021 (was supposed to be June 2020) #keepyourtickets@the same pub I’m going to see Jeff Martin play at in March…

Other than the above - I get daily feeds about new Stoner / Doom / Sludge releases every day - TOO much - OVERLOAD! I get anxiety just thinking about - how will I ever catch up, WILL I EVER CATCH UP???

Just found a German stoner rock band called “The Ocean” who release two concept albums about the dawn of life on Earth :

2019 Volume 1: Phanerozoic I: Palaezoic (about the Cambrian - Permian)
2020 Volume 2: Phanerozoic II : Jurassic to Cretaceous
how delightful… I’ll be thrashing that soon as I’m through my post-punk “bender”…

And drat it! Two of my favourite Kiwi metal bands have gig here in Perth in mid Feb (Devilskin and an all Maori metal band Shepherd’s Reign) and wouldn’t you know it - I’m F-CKING ON CALL! :rage: that night so F-CK that…

1 Like

Hmmm… For me, as a non-native speaker, proper RP is still the ultimate, yet probably unreachable, goal.

However, having lived four years in North London, I just feel, this is the way, English is supposed to sound.
Note: Twatty Public School speak and Oxbridge mumble is not RP.

Lucy is my idol:

1 Like

I listen to some random tunes, and most of them are theme song or openings to movies or TV series, but here it is

1.The Tender Box - Spectacular Spider-man Theme

2.Alan Silvestri - Portals (From “Avengers: Endgame”/Audio Only)

3.Michael Giacchino - Theme (from “Spider Man”) [Original Television Series

4.Macgyver Theme Song

1 Like

Good Morning!
There has already been so many links posted here that it’s going to take me ages to listen to them…:slightly_smiling_face: I will then restrict myself to just two…
The first is from Box Arcana, I guess many of you will never of heard of them? They are based in Ohio.

The second is from a German group called The Seer. They are from Bavaria and give great live concerts, I have watched them 9 times…

Have a great day!

3 Likes

I’m into Rockabilly anything to do with the 50’s or even 40’s and some 30’s. Also Neo Rockabilly which are modern bands on the rockin’ scene.

I like the obscure stuff that didn’t make it. People think that Rock N Roll from the 50’s was just Elvis Presley, Chuck Berry, Buddy Holly, Little Richard etc, but when you study the roots of it, so many bands out there. For me Johnny Burnette, Hank Williams Senior, Louis Jordan and all those other obscure names are the kings of Rock N Roll. Louis Jordan was Rapping before it was ever invented. Hank Williams reinvented the sound altogether, such a shame he died at the age of 29.

None of these artists would of been without the backing musicians of the band. The guitarist with Johnny Burnette Grady Martin was so talented, he played with so many artists and as a session player too.

I got interrupted last night and could not finish my list. I keep an eye on Tommy Emmanuel guitarist and Joscho Stephan Django Reinhardt guitar player, really good stuff.

Richard Smith and the Bina Quartet

1 Like

I’d like to add further interesting examples I found:

1 Like

I listen to Bach’s fugues and Frank Zappa’s music. :100: / :100: of the time.

1 Like

I have used Louis Jordan’s “Beware Brother Beware” when teaching English. It’s a HOOT!

My nomination for the best music to program by. An all acoustic trio that sounds positively electric.

1 Like

Here is the most tranquil music I know of. I go to this type of music when I am reading on my Kindle.

1 Like

I just watched (listened to) the JS. Bach BWV 826 Piano Partita No 2 c minor performed by Martha Argerich in the course of the Lausitz Festival at Görlitz synagogue. It was eye-opening to hear how such a superb artist’s interpretation still can add value to a work that has probably already been performed a million times.

Just had to share it.

Speaking of interpretations. I also adore Adriana Varela’s version of the classic tango “Mano a Mano”:

1 Like

Louis Jordan was a genius, he actually recorded more records than Elvis Presley. Just that at that time the billboard charts were not around.

I have listened to these multiple times.

I cannot decide which is best.

2 Likes