What music do you listen to?

Have you ever listened to Sylvius Leopold Weiss, a contemporary of Bach? Here is a taste.

3 Likes

Never heard of

Thank you. I must say that I prefer cello to lute but I like viola too :

1 Like

@R_G The viola is certainly one of the most underestimated instruments ever. But “viola da gamba” is “cello”, right? “Gamba”, at least in Spanish, means “thigh”.

Lovely, these pieces by Marais (at least the first part, I have already listened to). Totally new to me. The reason might be, that due to some stupid historic animosities, in Germany, French composers are still seen as somewhat 2nd league…

Ein echter deutscher Mann kann keinen Franzen leiden, doch ihre Weine trinkt er gern.
in J.W. v. Goethe: Faust

The viola da gamba is part of a family of six string bowed instruments, the size indicated by where you place it (da braccio, da gamba, etc). The tuning is more like that of the lute than the violin, which is more recent than the “viola” family. The cello is the violin but one octave deeper, just as the modern viola (not the same as the Baroque viola family) and the string bass (aka bass viol) are an octave apart.

2 Likes

I should have said viola de gamba @Mina.
Sorry.
There are 4 instruments in that category.
Violin, viola, viola da gamba, cello.

And as I found on the net : The difference between a viola da gamba and a cello. The cello has four strings; the gamba has six (or sometimes seven). And unlike a cello, a viola da gamba has frets like a guitar, and that makes it easier to play chords on the gamba.

1 Like

If you ever have a chance to watch this movie

You will appreciate the music and the artists.

And, yes, French wines are much :100: better than the German’s. :grinning:

Should we start a **What liquid do you drink ? ** topic ?

1 Like

Hmmm… There is too much quiet music posted here, recently…

It reeks of obedience to society!

Here, something more rebellish and harsh:

:wink:

P.S.:

Enable closed captions to prevent judging the book by its cover…

2 Likes

At least I absolutely adore the aesthetics.

1 Like

Well I need to post a third song… This song is perfect to dance to (I can see the raised eyebrows and head shaking!!) and is my all time fave song. If you should decide to listen to it then don’t be put off by the singing at the beginning… It’s very short. Second half is best…

2 Likes

Not on me. :wink:

I actually like the singing. I wish she would continue for longer. I like prominent singing in music that does not sound like your average TV singing competition winner’s voice…

@Ute I have to agree with @akito: I love the singing. Her voice is lovely and, speaking in general, I consider the human voice to be the most expressive musical instrument of all.

2 Likes

The male dancer looks like Vladimir Putin. :smiley:

Oyneng Yar is the 8th score on that album.
I like it all.

Is “Oyneng Yar” in any known language?

I think it is Icelandic.

Her voice is lovely… The group comes from town not far from me so it’s easy to get tickets… They are German but she is singing in Turkish.

She is singing in Turkish

1 Like

I read that Fiona Rüggeberg had quit the group. :cry:

I have to add one more song, this is my personal favorite, a little childish but i still watch Thomas And Friends, so here it is

Just adding one more :

3 Likes