Please introduce yourself

Welcome to the community, Elroy.

Salut Yvon,

What kind of problems arose when Ubuntu 20.4 was installed?

Roger

Salut Roger,

I wish I could tell you more but it was a bit hectic at the time.

Basically, Ubuntu has to first install from the CD and it was not getting there. My sequence was to boot from the BIOS to select boot from DVD and then a black screen showed and remained there with no or little DVD activity. After a couple of emergency shutdown (hold power button), I must have hit the key and gone into a terminal window where I could recognize the letters ‘sd’ or ‘sdc’ in a line showing an error. That’s when I realized that I had a 32GB SDHC card inserted on my laptop.

After I removed the SD card, Ubuntu booted normally and successfully installed. It has been very stable since except for a problem with SDHC cards. The system knows when I take the card out (beeps) but not when I insert it in. If I run a command like ‘inxi -Fxz’, it will mount to my Windows 10 partition. If I leave the SDHC card inserted, it will also eventually mount itself to my Windows 10 partition. Linux Mint on my 32-bit laptop has no problem recognizing and reading this card.

The fix for Ubuntu is to use a USB card reader to recognize and mount these SDHC cards.

I understand you very well @Elroy. Panic often follows an hectic situation and we loose control when things are not as expected.

I also see I was wrong thinking SDHC cards were something of the past.

Regards,

Seema Varma works as a Software Analyst at Technology Counter. Her interests include HR Software, Payroll Management Software, Employee management software, photography, and food. In her spare time, she likes to spend time on the latest technologies.

4 Likes

Hello Seema! Welcome to the community. I hope you find the topics to be interesting and the community to be friendly and helpful.

Mina

PS: I also love food (preparing, of course - when it comes to eating, almost everybody’s a fan, I guess).

My name’s Anuj from Delhi, India. I’m basically a homemaker and community (Manjaro, Garuda & OnePlus) contributor in my spare time.

I prefer Linux over Windows since 2014. My all time favourite Architecture is Arch and DE is Gnome.

Following It’s Foss and Abhishek from last few years.

My ultimate goal is to guide and encourage people to start using Linux easily in day-today life.

2 Likes

Hello Anuj!

A very warm welcome to the community. It’s very nice to have you here.

This is a level of expertise that will surely be appreciated.

Mina

Hi! My name is Ute and I live in southern Germany, about 50 miles from Munich. Before I became ill I used to be a nurse and worked full time in a general hospital. I seem to have a dislike of companies that become to powerful and abuse their position, this was my reason for ditching Windows and moving to Linux. At the beginning I could boot and chose between Windows and Linux but that only lasted for 3 days after which I deleted Windows and have never looked back since. At the moment I use Uiyssa and Cinnamon. My main fields of interest are photography packages and learning to master the terminal.

8 Likes

Hi there!
I am already here for a couple of weeks, but I missed to introduce myself…Sorry for that!!
I am from Hamburg/ Germany and working as an aeronautical engineer.
My Linux experiments started in the 90s with Suse, Professionally bound in the MS world I use Linux in my private life. I am a kind of distro hopper and still try to find out which distro is best for me…perhaps a never ending story… :slight_smile: In the moment my favourites are Mint and Opensuse…but which one is better?.. :thinking:
I am looking forward to an inspiring exchange and some tipps to improve my linux knowledge here.

6 Likes

Hi, I am Tejas Shetty.
I am a graduate student at IIT Bombay.
I work in the field of Quantum control.
I basically use only Ubuntu and primarily code in python.
I mostly need help in python and sometimes fixing things with my Ubuntu desktop.
I am willing to compensate those who help me adequately.
tejas.shetty@iitb.ac.in

3 Likes

Hi everyone,

I am Pranav Krishna from Chennai, India. I am a eleventh grade student, who’s very interested in Linux. I’ve been using Linux from 2018 (where my journey began with Parrot Linux Home 4.7).

My main distro is Debian 10, which is stable and smooth in my 15 year old computer (it’s my only pc). I’ve been following itsfoss for a year (my journey with itsfoss started when I had problems with graphics driver in Ubuntu 18.04).

I’m so proud to be a part of a very vast community, where many experienced personalities live.

I expect the people in this vast community to be supportive, encouraging (not discouraging atleast), and that’s all.

Thanks for the great opportunity, Abhishek :slight_smile:

6 Likes

I am kirtiraj a 2nd year Computer Engineering Student from INDIA. i’ve recently made ubuntu 20.04 as my primary OS. Here to learn more about linux and i’m interested in gaming in linux.

2 Likes

@community
@abhishek
@itfosscommunity
I’ll introduce myself
Since in my childhood I started using computers when I was just 5 years old and troubleshooting computers :desktop_computer: when I was 8 . I was always passionate about Computers and how they work .
Currently I’m the Computer Science/CS student who is aiming to be a Software Engineer.
In my family
My father and my sister both are IT Professionals and Software Engineers .

They introduced me to this platform so that I should gain experience in Linux and keep learning .
My aim is to be familiar with it and keep sharing what I get every bit of knowledge during my progression.

6 Likes

Hi everyone, I’m Anca Gozman, I am from Romania but living in Germany since 2017. I’m an electronics technician but at the moment in maternity leave, so I’m in craving for something techy.

I’m not officially a Linux user yet cause I am still struggling with the installation on an older PC no longer in use. But I definetly wish to be. So I’ve started with Ubuntu 20.2, but that didn’t went so well and switched to installing Linux Mint MATE, that installation is not going well either but maybe eventually.
I’ve been following It’s FOSS since…Monday, and registered on Tuesday.
So glad to be here, I’ve already learned so much.

5 Likes

Welcome to the forum, Anca and congratulations on your pregnancy.

For the installation issue, please open a new topic in the forum and we’ll try our best to help you out.

1 Like

Thank you @abhishek . My baby girl is already a year and a few days old and already in mayhem mode. Simply adorable!

The topic is already opened and there’s a brainstorming going on there. It is awesome! Well, for me anyway, cause I am learning alot from it.

Oh! Sorry for the goof up.

My daughter is almost 5 months old and I am preparing myself for all the mayhem she is going to cause as she starts sitting and walking (and putting everything in her mouth).

3 Likes

Congratulations on fatherhood!
I feel that all the preparation did not help, so I kind of just go with the flow more or less. I mean, we were once so tiny ourselves and everyone managed to go through that, so my logic dictates it should turn out alright.
That part with putting everything in her mouth gives me scares. Mine still does that (according to the dr. this is the normal way of a healthy child so…that’s good then), still scary though.

3 Likes

Thanks for the encouragement. No matter how much you plan, in the end, it is always ‘go with the flow’ with kids. That’s what we have experienced so far :slight_smile:

4 Likes